Can I still become a dentist?

Alertnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't interested in dentistry until lately. I am a homeschooler and get to study just about what I want, including science, which was anatomy & physiology until lately. Now I am rushing to catch up on high school chem and physics as well as more rounded biology. There's no money right now for the SAT test which is the only way to prove to the FAFSA org that my grades are accurate (so I have been told), so I plan to take an ROP (county vocational program) to become a dental assistant (includes an RDA program) so that I can make some money to put aside while I get my first 2 years at a community college while living at home, and also to see if I like the profession. Then I will somehow get my BA/BS and hopefully get into dental school. Can this be done? Is it a bad idea to be "tainted" with dental assisting or dental hygiene training? If so, why? I understand that once you are in dental school you can get loans, etc.? Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't interested in dentistry until lately. I am a homeschooler and get to study just about what I want, including science, which was anatomy & physiology until lately. Now I am rushing to catch up on high school chem and physics as well as more rounded biology. There's no money right now for the SAT test which is the only way to prove to the FAFSA org that my grades are accurate (so I have been told), so I plan to take an ROP (county vocational program) to become a dental assistant (includes an RDA program) so that I can make some money to put aside while I get my first 2 years at a community college while living at home, and also to see if I like the profession. Then I will somehow get my BA/BS and hopefully get into dental school. Can this be done? Is it a bad idea to be "tainted" with dental assisting or dental hygiene training? If so, why? I understand that once you are in dental school you can get loans, etc.? Thanks for your thoughts.

Talk to your school about financial problems. Also, check out the pre-dent section on SDN to make sure you have the knowledge about being a pre-dent student.

The distinguishes between a dental assistant, a dental hygienist, and a dentist can be found by researching the information on the internet, shadowing the particular profession, and talking to your school counselor.

I did ROP dental assisting to see if I really wanted to be in the field, and the internship that they make you do as part of the class was one of the best experiences of my life, since I was able to work for like 6 months at a no/low income children's clinic in Buena Park. If anything, this really impressed the admissions committees, and showed them that I was really dedicated. Also, just about every dental school requires that you do job shadowing, this internship covered that and beyond for me.

As far as the SAT, I'm pretty sure you can apply for a fee waiver? And I also don't think that thing about the SAT's is true - you should lookt it up for yourself, just go to the website and fill out an application, it takes like 20 minutes.

Also, the only way 99.9% of people go to dental school is with loans - EVERYONE gets loans. It is way too expensive to pay out of pocket, even if you're upper middle class or whatever. I'm just going with the assumption that I'll be about a third of a million in debt by the time I finish, since it's about $75k a year.

If you really really need to, look into other student loans for your undergraduate education, as they'll merely be a few drops in the bucket compared to the rest of dental school - especially if you go to a Community college (Go Go Cypress College Chargers! :D) , and then a cheaper university like a CSU or a UC (Go Go Anteaters!).

It sounds like you're in CA, and if you're over 16 I'd take the CHSPE if you don't have your high school diploma already, and then maybe do the dental assisting over the summer (it's only like a 2-3 month class). Oh, you should check if your ROP combines it with Dental Radiography, some do, but the one I took mine at had it as a different class so I took both at the same time. Also, DO NOT do RDA, you don't need to. RDA is more for people who want to make that a career, just like an RN. If you want to do dental, just do the CDA (certified dental assistant - which the ROP classes are), and then move on. RDA takes atleast 2 years sometimes.

One way or another, it sounds like you've got a really interesting and compelling story, and that matters a lot for dental admissions, and believe it or not, gives you a better chance for admissions.

Good luck, keep on keeping on, and if you want to be a dentist badly enough, you'll be one eventually - the money factor won't stand in your way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definately doesn't hurt to do hygiene or assisting before dental school. You'll still need to get great grades and finish up your bachelor's too. But two of my friends in dental school (I'm a 3rd year now) did the hygiene route before coming and they have a really big advantage of being used ot patient care and all. I'd recommend shadowing a dentist if it's something that you really, really want to do. Do hygiene (or assisting with your bachelors.) And then be sure to take the pre-reqs. :)

I did ROP dental assisting to see if I really wanted to be in the field, and the internship that they make you do as part of the class was one of the best experiences of my life, since I was able to work for like 6 months at a no/low income children's clinic in Buena Park. If anything, this really impressed the admissions committees, and showed them that I was really dedicated. Also, just about every dental school requires that you do job shadowing, this internship covered that and beyond for me.

As far as the SAT, I'm pretty sure you can apply for a fee waiver? And I also don't think that thing about the SAT's is true - you should lookt it up for yourself, just go to the website and fill out an application, it takes like 20 minutes.

Also, the only way 99.9% of people go to dental school is with loans - EVERYONE gets loans. It is way too expensive to pay out of pocket, even if you're upper middle class or whatever. I'm just going with the assumption that I'll be about a third of a million in debt by the time I finish, since it's about $75k a year.

If you really really need to, look into other student loans for your undergraduate education, as they'll merely be a few drops in the bucket compared to the rest of dental school - especially if you go to a Community college (Go Go Cypress College Chargers! :D) , and then a cheaper university like a CSU or a UC (Go Go Anteaters!).

It sounds like you're in CA, and if you're over 16 I'd take the CHSPE if you don't have your high school diploma already, and then maybe do the dental assisting over the summer (it's only like a 2-3 month class). Oh, you should check if your ROP combines it with Dental Radiography, some do, but the one I took mine at had it as a different class so I took both at the same time. Also, DO NOT do RDA, you don't need to. RDA is more for people who want to make that a career, just like an RN. If you want to do dental, just do the CDA (certified dental assistant - which the ROP classes are), and then move on. RDA takes atleast 2 years sometimes.

One way or another, it sounds like you've got a really interesting and compelling story, and that matters a lot for dental admissions, and believe it or not, gives you a better chance for admissions.

Good luck, keep on keeping on, and if you want to be a dentist badly enough, you'll be one eventually - the money factor won't stand in your way. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wow congrats on acceptance to Columbia

OP see if you can get a fee waiver, you should at least take the SAT route once. The CC route is fine too just make sure your courses are transferable to a 4 year school and try not to complete dental school pre-requisite classes at a CC.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you shadow a dentist? Do you just ask any dentist if you can or is there a program you go through?

Just call up your dentist and ask if you can shadow because you're thinking about becoming a dentist. If they're not really busy most of them would be glad to let you come in - as they were in your shoes once.

Just call up your dentist and ask if you can shadow because you're thinking about becoming a dentist. If they're not really busy most of them would be glad to let you come in - as they were in your shoes once.

I see. Thanks for the response :)

If you are a dental assistant and work in a general dentist, you don't need to do work shadow to apply for dental school.

If you are a dental assistant and work in a general dentist, you don't need to do work shadow to apply for dental school.

And if you are posting on FSDN, you should always check each thread's date before commenting.

Reactions: 1 user