Can I still get accepted somewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mommed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, Long story short,
First, I started with community college because I went to high school in france and for financial reason as well. I finished with a 4.0 and transfer after 2 years to Smu university fall 2008. I was pregnant and had my baby fall 2008 in the middle of the semester which made it hard on me (was extremely sick after) and I got an F in organic chem and a C+ in genetics. This year I barely going to get a 3.0 with very low science gpa. ( the university start the gpa from 0). I will also repeat O.Chem.
With a part time job and a baby I never dropped or stopped, do you think medical school will understand?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

OK, Long story short,
First, I started with community college because I went to high school in france and for financial reason as well. I finished with a 4.0 and transfer after 2 years to Smu university fall 2008. I was pregnant and had my baby fall 2008 in the middle of the semester which made it hard on me (was extremely sick after) and I got an F in organic chem and a C+ in genetics. This year I barely going to get a 3.0 with very low science gpa. ( the university start the gpa from 0). I will also repeat O.Chem.
With a part time job and a baby I never dropped or stopped, do you think medical school will understand?
Thank you

The truth of the matter is that medical schools will just filter out alot of applications with low GPAs. If you're really set on MD schools, I'm going to say that is a long shot unless you can bring your science GPA up to at least a 3.4. Even then its going to be quite difficult to get in.

Have you considered being a DO? DO schools will allow you to retake classes and will count only the higher grade. SO you can erase that F and C+ essentially and get a 4.0.

In all honesty, it seems to me that you are struggling to manage between school and family commitments. Going to school is a full time job and so is caring for a child.

You have a good reason for poor performance last semester, but what is the problem this semester? Allopathic med schools might "understand" why you did poorly due to a good explanation, but that doesn't mean you don't have to redeem yourself by bringing up your GPA with a string of straight As to raise your GPA again. Why not figure out what the best GPA you might earn could be assuming stright As until you graduate. Similiarly figure out what it would be if you apply to DO schools and have an A to replace each class you intend to repeat (must be the same number of credit hours). Mean GPA for students accepted to allopathic schools is 3.65, and for osteopathic schools 3.45.

Here is a DO GPA calculator spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050

Here is one for MD schools: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

Let us know what you come up with and what your GPA and BCPM GPA is right now.