Can I still get there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuzzyandfogged

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've got a question, well a couple, about studying medicine.

A bit about me, I'm 21 years old, I'm working full time in a hospital admin position trying to work my way up. However my interest is really in the clinical side of things. I come from a medical family, my step dad is a consultant and a uni professor, my mum is a medical researcher. However, unfortunately at school, I didn't really try that hard, my GCSE's are a mix of B's and C's, my A levels aren't good, a C and a D in History and Sociology. I went to Uni to study business, I soon left, I went to uni to study sports development, I soon left.

But over the last year or so I've become increasingly interested in medicine, and I've learnt a great deal and been on a number of mini courses and I am about to study for a certificate in health science.

It seems that medicine can be a bit of a closed profession unless you leave school and get going straight away.

My question would be, what chance do I have of ever studying medicine? How do I go about it? What would the time frame be?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Given your dialect I'm assuming you're from somewhere in the UK/Europe? Do you want to practice over there or are you thinking about practicing in the U.S.? If the former you'd probably get better answers in the international sub-forums than you would here. Working in a hospital admin position where you can "work your way up" as a 21 year old isn't really a thing in the U.S. without significant advancements in your education level, so I'm guessing we wouldn't have the best advice for you in terms of how realistic this would be in Europe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello all.

I've got a question, well a couple, about studying medicine.

A bit about me, I'm 21 years old, I'm working full time in a hospital admin position trying to work my way up. However my interest is really in the clinical side of things. I come from a medical family, my step dad is a consultant and a uni professor, my mum is a medical researcher. However, unfortunately at school, I didn't really try that hard, my GCSE's are a mix of B's and C's, my A levels aren't good, a C and a D in History and Sociology. I went to Uni to study business, I soon left, I went to uni to study sports development, I soon left.

But over the last year or so I've become increasingly interested in medicine, and I've learnt a great deal and been on a number of mini courses and I am about to study for a certificate in health science.

It seems that medicine can be a bit of a closed profession unless you leave school and get going straight away.

My question would be, what chance do I have of ever studying medicine? How do I go about it? What would the time frame be?

Thank you in advance.
Read these:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624