. locked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulsajoe94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
- deleted -

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
have you faced a hardship or significant challenge in your life that you can expand upon re: what you've learned, how that motivates you and how your insight can impact your peers?

in my very honest opinion as someone who belongs to a marginalized identity group, writing your "diversity" essay on moths or how much you appreciate wildlife is just stretching. if you have never experienced an adversity/challenge/unique yet relevant perspective, leave it blank

Members don't see this ad :)
have you faced a hardship or significant challenge in your life that you can expand upon re: what you've learned, how that motivates you and how your insight can impact your peers?

in my very honest opinion as someone who belongs to a marginalized identity group, writing your "diversity" essay on moths or how much you appreciate wildlife is just stretching. if you have never experienced an adversity/challenge/unique yet relevant perspective, leave it blank

Perhaps read more into what Adcoms look for in a diversity essay before posting erroneous advice.

Reactions: 3 users
Diversity essays are separate from adversity essays, so I think either of these should be fine.

Perhaps read more into what Adcoms look for in a diversity essay before posting erroneous advice.

you had nothing productive to say, so you thought you’d try a zinger. cute! as gonnif states, neither of those essay options are really truly answering the question......it’s a stretch.

you had nothing productive to say, so you thought you’d try a zinger. cute! as gonnif states, neither of those essay options are really truly answering the question......it’s a stretch.

I was being productive by pointing out that the essay does not have to be about hardship or challenges, as you said, so as not to mislead OP. Rather, it's about how you add diversity to the class, per goniff. I would also never put the word "erroneous" in a "zinger".

Reactions: 1 users
I was being productive by pointing out that the essay does not have to be about hardship or challenges, as you said, so as not to mislead OP. Rather, it's about how you add diversity to the class, per goniff. I would also never put the word "erroneous" in a "zinger".

Came here to say this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this is a lot... :dead:
@crunchysnack Goniff explicitly stated that I could potentially use #1 if I could prove that I had passion and took action. You came into this thread really aggressively and have not been helpful in any way. It would be best for everyone if you just let it be. You've said your piece, please stop derailing my thread.

For literally anyone else viewing this post, I could use some actual opinions on how to phrase these/which ones would look strong to an adcom!

Reactions: 3 users
Option 1 - Biodiversity/Wildlife
Is there a way you guys can think to spin a love of biodiversity and wildlife for the "diversity" essay. I have practical examples (president of the eco club in high school, worked for an environmental non-profit during summer in college, wrote legislation about an enivronmental/public health issue, scuba certified and dove GBR, active birder and entomologist in my community). I love these things and find this level of dedication pretty unique compared to everyone who is like "I love nature omg I hiked look a dog" but I am not sure how this interest of mine will benefit my medical school peers.

Option 2 - Humanities? "Culture"? *need help wording*
Alternatively, I also have a liberal arts major and love asking questions that are way out of the box (i.e. tracing Spanish nationalism through changes in its national anthem, looking at how the Russian revolutions affected musical composition in Russia, writing thesis on factors that shaped eugenics in different countries). Like, once I conducted a 100+ person survey on fear of moths just for ****s and giggles bc I noticed my european friends seemed disproportionately afraid and then used RStudio to analyze results. I am just generally curious about how culture changes over time/cultural differences but don't feel like I have any experience actually working with other cultures other than studying and doing research abroad and tutoring refugees for a year. Maybe this could be an angle? Feel like it needs more to it thought other than "look I chose weird essay topics". Could use any help fleshing this out!

Option 3 - "policy minded/civic engagement" as my diversity. I've done a health policy internship for my state legislature, was the city relations director for my school's student government, wrote legislation for my college council that got passed and changed how my school regulates science majors, have interned for an environmental non-profit and done all the political organizing that comes with that, and am an avid consumer of long-form on health policy/bioethical dilemma.

Any thoughts on phrasing on any of these things or on which one is better?
I think that you can combine 1 and 3 into a demo that you have actual public policy or public advocacy experience...something that is very rare among pre-meds.

Reactions: 1 user