Can I take step 3 before I graduate my US school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoexile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated. I'm really, really am not interested in waiting to take this until after I graduate. Which states allow US students to take this before they graduate? Just want to get this out of the way.

Members don't see this ad.

You must be a graduate. You can't sign up until your degree is confirmed. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
How soon after can I take it? Immediately?

You need to have your MD. I don't think there is a specific time frame, but after getting your MD, you need to apply for it, have the permit, register, go from there.
I would suggest not taking it right after graduation. But technically you should be able to take it shortly after you get your degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to apply and send a notarized form (with passport picture)...the usmle gods will then verify with your school that you've graduated. Technically you can take it the day after your degree is conferred, if you wanted to. But you can't apply too early - degree must be conferred. It's an annoying test, that's for sure. Good luck!!

Last edited:
You don't need the degree to study for the test though. After the Match many people have an easy (40 hr or less) week. You won't experience that too often in residency. Plus it can be super painful revisiting peds and ob if you're not in fm. I would get it done asap.

How soon after can I take it? Immediately?

You can't even apply for a window until the day you graduate. Once you apply for a window it takes three weeks to certify you. After that you pick the date. I tried doing this when I graduated but there weren't any spots open.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user