Can i take the dat after submitting my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DngU2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two questions about the DAT and I would really appreciate your inputs. I am planning to submit my application to dental schools beginning of June. However, I have not taken my DAT yet. So my first question is I don't know if that would be fine to take the DAT in July if I send out my application in June.

My second question is do I need to take the second part of biology before taking the DAT as well as applying to dental school this summer for this year cycle? I have not taken the second bio class yet. I just finished molecular cell biology last semester. So my other two bio classes that my community college offers are zoology and plant. I am planning to take them in the fall because I don't think they are offered in the summer. I might take Microbiology in the summer instead. What do you guys think? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend who applied with older scores first and then submitted the new scores in August got screwed. They only looked at his old scores and he got rejected from nova which is an easier school. He now got into temple. But the moral of the story is, wait until you got a compete application. If you apple in June for example and then submit scores in August; some schools may put you in an alternate list and may not really look at it again until much later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought we need one year of biology and I took everything (all science classes) except the second part of bio. Is that fine to take the dat considering I'm going to study the materials for the dat?

Look you need two biology classes for dental school. If you have covered the material that you should know for the dat then you should be fine. Um. I don't know the system at your school curriculum wise etc. what I am saying is just have all your courses finished before taking the DAT.

Taking the DAT in July after applying in June is fine, I did the same. However, you are not following the same bio curriculum as is typical because you are doing it at a community college that for some reason doesn't offer intro bio courses, just subject specific courses? I personally don't know how dental schools will look at that.

Honestly if you took community college bio courses I would say that you would need to retake them at a four year institution.