Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can I take the GRE a bunch of times?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by ckgilabert, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ckgilabert

ckgilabert CSU PVM c/o 2014!!!!

Pre-Veterinary
    I keep reading about how the GRE is changing soon, and I was wondering if I can take the GRE once a month till July? That would mean that I was taking it a total of 4 times....I dont mind paying the money to take it...but does it look bad to the veterinary schools?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi ckgilabert,

I think you can---but I remember there being a limit on # of tries per year...so you might want to check the ETS website. I have heard that vet schools like to see students take the GREs at least twice because it shows a desire to improve----a Cornell rep said they do not penalize for multiple GRE taking.

You might consider that you might not show improvement if you give yourself only one month to study more each time...so it might become a waste of money in that sense.

Good luck!

4. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    I think the limit is 3 times per 12 months, but you might want to double check that.

5. AuburnPreVet

AuburnPreVet AU CVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    Why not really study up and get it done well the first (or second) time. I do realize that for many people the computer arrangement throws them off - regardless of how many practice problems they've worked. . . so leaving yourself time to take it twice before it changes is smart but honestly taking it once a month seems like overkill. Study for 2 months and get it done.

6. mistifical

mistifical VMRCVM 2012

Veterinary Student
    I took it twice. Wasn't satisfied with my score the first time, so as I left the testing center I signed up to take it again in 2 weeks (first time end of Aug, 2nd in mid- Sept). I honestly didn't work my butt off during those 2 weeks, but I did a few more practice tests and somehow improved my score by 120 points (I think). My analytical score also went up.

7. InfiniVet

Veterinary Student
    You do have to report each score you received and the dates you took it. So, though they say they won't take multiple scores into consideration - why then is it mandatory that you report each score?
    I personally wouldn't recommend taking it a bunch of times. Just do the practice tests! :)

8. Fairyblastt

Fairyblastt UC Davis class of 2013

Veterinary Student
    here's a question I've been wondering about... let's say you max out in one of the three areas but want to improve in the other two, will the vet schools frown upon redoing the test and just not filling in that section (ie leaving it blank and so getting a big fat zero in it the second time)?

9. mistifical

mistifical VMRCVM 2012

Veterinary Student
    Just make sure you carefully read the schools guidelines. LSU sent out a little postcard with your gpa and gre scores and on the card it clearly stated that they calculated the admissions score using the highest combined score from a single test date. Or at least that's the impression I got. Read up on how the schools will consider your score before doing that. Although I don't know what they'd think if you left everything blank...

10. JumptheMoon

JumptheMoon UPenn Class of 2011

Pre-Veterinary
    This is true for many people I think, but there's a simple solution: buy a CD-ROM of the computer-adaptive practice tests! Much more realistic, and a lot cheaper than taking the real GRE every month ;)

11. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    Most would. It is rare that schools take the highest from each section.

12. JIKJen124

Veterinary Student
    Here's an idea. Save the money, and spend it on a prep course (I liked Kaplan). 1 well-prepped attempt might just do it for you.

13. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat

Veterinarian
    I have NO ides if this info. is accurate, but I think you can sign up at special testing centers (not all of them) to take only 1 section of the exam. I think I was told it was the same price, but it "protected" you from getting a ad score in a section you had already done well in. Again, not sure if this is true or not. Call a testing cntr and find out.

14. Bill59

Bill59 Member

Also be aware that some veterinary schools accept only the most recent GRE score, not the highest.

15. ckgilabert

ckgilabert CSU PVM c/o 2014!!!!

Pre-Veterinary
    thanks for the advice. maybe i'll only take it 2 times then. I totally cant afford the kaplan class. I was hoping that all the schools were like davis, i think they said that they will take the highest section of all the tests and then combine your score. I was hoping to do what fairyblast mentioned, study my butt off for the math section for a month, get a really good score...and then the rest of the time to study hard for the verbal and keep trying on just that section.

thanks for the replies!
    Cathy :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Lathiana

Lathiana Missouri CVM 2011

Veterinary Student
    Most schools do take the highest score - in deciding how many times to take it, look at how much it is actually weighted in your application. I didn't have time to study (family, job, etc etc) and walked in and took it in November thinking that I would just take it again in December or January. Some schools really just want you to have it to show that you have taken it - when I looked at the average GRE score for matriculated students, I decided not to retake it b/c mine was well over the average and it was only worth 10 points out of 100 in the academic evaluation (so therefore, it wasn't worth paying to take it again).

Note: It really works in your favor to answer the first questions correctly on the GRE - they are more significant in determining your final score, but you probably already knew that :)