Can I take the January MCAT & still apply for the 09/10 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

struggling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a lurker for a while, first post.

I had a quick question. If I take the Jan 31st MCAT is it still possible for me to apply to any schools for the 09/10 cycle. I understand that some schools have pretty late deadlines (WESTERN COMP/ LECOM / TOURO-NY), but can you still get everything processed and apply on time by taking an MCAT in January? I need some feedback, and what if you submit your application perhaps earlier (say December) and just have your MCAT scores sent out immediately after taking them (JAN 31st). Would that help?

I also understand many schools are on rolling admissions so it would greatly hinder my chances, but I'm idealistically hoping to rock the MCAT and maybe get an interview or 2 and perhaps an acceptance. If all else fails i'll just apply for the 2010/2011 cycle. I just recently graduated so I plan on working (part time) + volunteering this upcoming year along with MCAT studying.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

The link doesn't work.

Also, I have a question. I've got a 30 on my MCAT, so thats not too bad. However, I do plan to take the Jan MCAT to see if I can get a higher score to apply to MD schools. However, if I submit my AACOMAS application now, will I be able to send my newer and hopefully higher MCAT score later?

The link doesn't work.

Also, I have a question. I've got a 30 on my MCAT, so thats not too bad. However, I do plan to take the Jan MCAT to see if I can get a higher score to apply to MD schools. However, if I submit my AACOMAS application now, will I be able to send my newer and hopefully higher MCAT score later?

The link works just fine. You probably just didn't wait long enough for it to load.

Yes, you can update schools with your new MCAT score at any time. However, if you were to submit now, most schools would have already made a decision about you before February. And if you decided to tell them now that you'll be retaking, some schools will put you on hold until they receive your new score, thus wasting a ton of time when you could have already known if you were accepted or not.

The link works just fine. You probably just didn't wait long enough for it to load.

Yes, you can update schools with your new MCAT score at any time. However, if you were to submit now, most schools would have already made a decision about you before February. And if you decided to tell them now that you'll be retaking, some schools will put you on hold until they receive your new score, thus wasting a ton of time when you could have already known if you were accepted or not.

Well, I got it from your sig instead. Very helpful sig! I would rep you if this forum allowed it.

Would you recommend that I just give them the scores I have now and not mention the future retake?

Well, I got it from your sig instead. Very helpful sig! I would rep you if this forum allowed it.

Would you recommend that I just give them the scores I have now and not mention the future retake?

Haha thanks for the hypothetical rep! :D

If I was applying with a 30 and a solid app, yes, I'd just go ahead and submit now without mentioning a future retake. If I was then ignored by a school I was interested in until January, I'd tell them about the upcoming score.

i also got it from his sig so i don't know how it worked for you in one instance but not in the other. oh well.

i also got it from his sig so i don't know how it worked for you in one instance but not in the other. oh well.

He used the one he posted the first time, and it did not work (I assume loaded slowly), and the second time he used the sig and it worked.

CCOM
DMU-COM considered on case-by-case basis
KCUMB File must be complete for consideration
MSUCOM
NSUCOM considered if there is no competitive pool of applicants
OUCOM accepted if prior scores on file
UNECOM scores accepted but secondaries won't be offered before MCAT scores
TCOM
VCOM considered but high chance of being put on a waitlist

CCOM
DMU-COM considered on case-by-case basis
KCUMB File must be complete for consideration