Can I take the jurisprudence early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProfessionalStudent5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when is the earliest that you can take the Maryland Jurisprudence exam. I know you take it to be a registered psychological associate and you don't have to take it again. So I was wondering if it was even necessary to wait until you've completed the EPPP to take the exam, because most students in Maryland become a registered psychological associate before completing their doctorate. Thank you. And sorry if the wording is confusing.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about Maryland in particular, but in the several states I am aware of, you can take it any time after the board approves you to do so. This generally means that they have processed your initial application to become licensed, whether at the PA or doctoral level. Then they give you permission to take it and you can take it either before or after the EPPP. In my state, you have 4 months after they receive your paperwork to attempt both exams but it does not matter which you take first. In many other states the timeline is longer than 4 months. Anyway, the best way to get an answer would be to email the Maryland Board of Psychology. Be aware that when you go to another state you'll have to take their jurisprudence exam as well which may be relevant if you're gearing up to apply for internship etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you.
I don't know about Maryland in particular, but in the several states I am aware of, you can take it any time after the board approves you to do so. This generally means that they have processed your initial application to become licensed, whether at the PA or doctoral level. Then they give you permission to take it and you can take it either before or after the EPPP. In my state, you have 4 months after they receive your paperwork to attempt both exams but it does not matter which you take first. In many other states the timeline is longer than 4 months. Anyway, the best way to get an answer would be to email the Maryland Board of Psychology. Be aware that when you go to another state you'll have to take their jurisprudence exam as well which may be relevant if you're gearing up to apply for internship etc.