Can I talk to someone who is a pharmacist or in school to be a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elizabeth7394

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in community college right now, mostly because its cheaper. Pharmacy seems very interesting to me. Since I was 11, I would memorize antibiotics and what they are used for. I could read all about what pharmacits do on the internet but I would like to talk to someone who has personal experience. What do pharmacists really do all day? How long could it take in college? and most of all, I would like to know if you are happy with your job, or if you could do it all over again, would you change your career?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll find all your answers if you peruse this website for a bit. There is a lot of information already posted.

Why don't you work and experience it first hand? Honestly, not to be mean, but I do not understand all these people that claims that they want to be pharmacist yet they never ever stepped into a pharmacy before. I worked with interns that never had any experience in a pharmacy before and then they realize that they hate working in a pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you're emailing a pharmacist who holds a pharmD.... do you address them by "Mr./Ms." or "Dr."? It just feels awkward doing the latter even though it feels perfectly normal to address professors like that

I am in community college right now, mostly because its cheaper. Pharmacy seems very interesting to me. Since I was 11, I would memorize antibiotics and what they are used for. I could read all about what pharmacits do on the internet but I would like to talk to someone who has personal experience. What do pharmacists really do all day? How long could it take in college? and most of all, I would like to know if you are happy with your job, or if you could do it all over again, would you change your career?

Best advice I can give you is this: Go to any retail pharmacy (longs/CVS, rite aid, walgreens etc..) during an unbusy hour and ask to speak to the pharmacist. I'm sure he/she would be more than willing to answer your questions.

College will GENERALLY take you 4 years + 3-4 years of pharmacy school. So 7-8 years.

When you're emailing a pharmacist who holds a pharmD.... do you address them by "Mr./Ms." or "Dr."? It just feels awkward doing the latter even though it feels perfectly normal to address professors like that

I think it depends on the situation. In pharmacy school, I've heard it is correct to address a teacher with a PharmD as "Dr." I have done it in writing only when formally requesting a recommendation from a pharmacist. Mostly I just call pharmacists by first name (as a pharm tech in the work area) or by Mr. or Ms. last name.

To OP: I'd do what the other posters above said. Get some experience and look around the boards. You will find your answers soon enough.

When I was 11, I remembered Tylenol, Advil. Whenever I was ill, I told my mom: "mom, I want some Tylenol". That is why I want to be a pharmacist to know more about Tylenol.

If you're emailing a Dr (any doctorate level degree) you address them as doctor until they tell you otherwise or you decide the additional respect with the title is no longer warranted. (even then it's usually better not to offend, burning bridges in pharmacy can be dangerous.)
This is my own unique perspective and is worthy of criticism from others, so here's a grain of salt to take it with .

You don't neccessarily need to say that Community Colleges are only cheaper. CC's can be good schools too.

Now, what you need to do is work in the pharmacy and it can be retail or hospital setting so you can see if you belong there. I would recommend you get certified for pharmacy technician and maybe your state may require that you have a license and registration. Look in your state board of pharmacy for more info. Then when you are hired, you can see what the pharmacist do everyday.

Schools are usually take about 2-3 years for pre req and if you want a b.s. degree in chemistry or biology, then it will take 4 years of undergrad. Then you go take the PCAT and after that, apply to pharmacy schools and see if you can get accepted.

After you finish pharmacy school, then you have to take a test to be a licensed pharmacist in your state.

My plan might take me around 7 years to finish the doctor of pharmacy program altogether. (although I might get a PhD after school so then I don't need to work in retail which might take another 2 years.)

Good luck!

If you're emailing a Dr (any doctorate level degree) you address them as doctor until they tell you otherwise or you decide the additional respect with the title is no longer warranted. (even then it's usually better not to offend, burning bridges in pharmacy can be dangerous.)
This is my own unique perspective and is worthy of criticism from others, so here's a grain of salt to take it with .

I agree with this. Maybe when I was looking for a job, I didn't call any pharmacist a doctor so maybe that could be one reason why they don't want to hire me because I do not respect them. I should respect pharmacists a little more from now on.

Now, what you need to do is work in the pharmacy and it can be retail or hospital setting so you can see if you belong there. I would recommend you get certified for pharmacy technician and maybe your state may require that you have a license and registration. Look in your state board of pharmacy for more info. Then when you are hired, you can see what the pharmacist do everyday.

You don't NEED to work there, many students just volunteer their time through internships or walk-ins. I would recommend this as it can be a lot of work to get certified as a tech, and it's often unnecessary. Don't feel like you are obligated to do so if you intend on going to pharmacy school especially if you are simply looking to gain insight into the profession.

Last edited:
Before I even considered taking the leap and applying to pharmacy school, I went to my local pharmacy and asked if I could do some sort of job shadowing in order to see if pharmacy fit me well. The pharmacy manager offered me a job as a pharmacy technician and I graciously accepted. After about a month of working there, I realized that pharmacy is exactly what I wanted to do. I worked there for almost a year as I went back to school to finish up the pre-requisites. By the time I applied to pharmacy school, I was absolutely sure of my decision.

Best of luck to you!

P.S. I agree with others about calling them Dr. unless they specify otherwise. It's a matter of respect.

You don't neccessarily need to say that Community Colleges are only cheaper. CC's can be good schools too.

Schools are usually take about 2-3 years for pre req and if you want a b.s. degree in chemistry or biology, then it will take 4 years of undergrad. Then you go take the PCAT and after that, apply to pharmacy schools and see if you can get accepted.

After you finish pharmacy school, then you have to take a test to be a licensed pharmacist in your state.

My plan might take me around 7 years to finish the doctor of pharmacy program altogether. (although I might get a PhD after school so then I don't need to work in retail which might take another 2 years.)

Good luck!

I agree with this. Maybe when I was looking for a job, I didn't call any pharmacist a doctor so maybe that could be one reason why they don't want to hire me because I do not respect them. I should respect pharmacists a little more from now on.

You don't need to get a PhD in order to not work retail. You don't NEED to do anything above your PharmD in order to not work in retail. You CAN work in a hospital/otherwise without doing a rotation. Rotations are optional, not required for hospital/otherwise, though they are becoming more suggested as time passes.

You don't need to get a PhD in order to not work retail. You don't NEED to do anything above your PharmD in order to not work in retail. You CAN work in a hospital/otherwise without doing a rotation. Rotations are optional, not required for hospital/otherwise, though they are becoming more suggested as time passes.

Well for my passion, the PhD does require. I don't want to explain over the internet or else someone else will steal my glory.

By the way, I am only getting the PhD to actually not work in retail and hospital. Here is a clue, the job is in the industrial pharmacy setting.

Also, before I even get to where I want to be, my mom has a friend in Brazil and hopefully he will give me a tour in his own industrail pharmacy factory and maybe I might work there for a while (8 years or so until I come back to America to pursue my dream job [also it is not CEO or anything that high end position!]).

Exactly!

Good luck!

No, read again. Unless you are in a clinical/professional setting and you know that you are talking to a Pharm.D., you shouldn't call whoever Dr... You show them your respect by being polite and acting professionally.

What do you mean here "rotation"?

Exactly!

No, read again. Unless you are in a clinical/professional setting and you know that you are talking to a Pharm.D., you shouldn't call whoever Dr... You show them your respect by being polite and acting professionally.

What do you mean here "rotation"?

i assume they mean residency

I do respect them and act professional, but that is not my point. My point is that when you call them Doctor, then they will remember that you called them that and the pharmacist will think I am more respectful than my peers.

You many have totally missed my point but it was my fault because I made my last post too short and simple.