Can I turn "Why do you want to be a DO" secondaries into "why medicine"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
would that negatively influence my application? I don't know that much about osteopathic techniques and my why medicine type essays are very strong. Do I need to specifically talk about osteopathy? Also, what about questions that ask about my exposure to osteopathy? I've never even shadowed a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

would that negatively influence my application? I don't know that much about osteopathic techniques and my why medicine type essays are very strong. Do I need to specifically talk about osteopathy? Also, what about questions that ask about my exposure to osteopathy? I've never even shadowed a DO.

Yes, this is bad.

You have to do your homework before you can go out and play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
would that negatively influence my application? . . . Do I need to specifically talk about osteopathy? Also, what about questions that ask about my exposure to osteopathy?

Yes. Think about how you feel about politicians who spin a question into the one they have a good answer for rather than the one that was asked. It reflects poorly on you in multiple ways.

I don't know that much about osteopathic techniques . . . I've never even shadowed a DO.

Um. Sometimes the latter is difficult depending on where you live, but that doesn't excuse the former. You've known this was coming for quite some time, so it was your responsibility to do what you needed to learn about osteopathic medicine at least enough to be an informed applicant. Can you imagine any other circumstance where you would tell an applicant to graduate school it would be ok for them to not know about they field they were claiming to want to pursue a lifelong (and extremely demanding) career in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is bad.

You have to do your homework before you can go out and play.

Ok, i'll do my research, i'm prolly not going to get a chance to shadow a DO though.
Yes. Think about how you feel about politicians who spin a question into the one they have a good answer for rather than the one that was asked. It reflects poorly on you in multiple ways.

Um. Sometimes the latter is difficult depending on where you live, but that doesn't excuse the former. You've known this was coming for quite some time, so it was your responsibility to do what you needed to learn about osteopathic medicine at least enough to be an informed applicant. Can you imagine any other circumstance where you would tell an applicant to graduate school it would be ok for them to not know about they field they were claiming to want to pursue a lifelong (and extremely demanding) career in?

Yea, I'd rather not be a politician. I'll do the research and digging necessary rather than being one of those reptilian politicians. thanks for the explanation.

Ok, i'll do my research, i'm prolly not going to get a chance to shadow a DO though.

Yea, I'd rather not be a politician. I'll do the research and digging necessary rather than being one of those reptilian politicians. thanks for the explanation.

When I did my research prior to submitting my DO applications, especially my secondaries, I read two books:

-- "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America by N. Gevitz
-- "Osteopathy: Research & Practice" by A.T. Still

Both books gave some good insight to both osteopathic medicine, its history and challenges, and some OMM techniques. For Dr. Still's book, though, you don't have to go into too much detail. You don't have to be hardcore about or even believe in OMM/OPP, but like the above posters said, you'll still need to answer the "Why DO?" question that most secondaries ask. Good luck!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think you guys are way too intense.

You want to be a DO for the same reason you want to be an MD. If the DO side appealed to you more for specific reasons, sure. But in most cases--it's the same reasons. And A LOT of DO's don't use OMM/OPP in practice. YOU may well have no intention of using it.

They know this.

I wrote my essays as "Why do I want to be a doctor" which only took a few tweaks from my AMCAS PS and some other secondaries I had written. I put Osteopathic in front of every "doctor" or "physician" to emphasize I was interested in being a DO.

You go to DO school to learn Osteopathic techniques. They don't expect you to be entirely familiar. You should have a vague understanding of "Looking at the patient as a whole" or what not.

I honestly don't think the question is designed to see if you're an expert on Osteopathy.

You REALLY want to shadow a DO though. I think most schools require this. And the ones that don't will appreciate that you've looked into it.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you guys are way too intense.

You want to be a DO for the same reason you want to be an MD. If the DO side appealed to you more for specific reasons, sure. But in most cases--it's the same reasons. And A LOT of DO's don't use OMM/OPP in practice. YOU may well have no intention of using it.

They know this.

I wrote my essays as "Why do I want to be a doctor" which only took a few tweaks from my AMCAS PS and some other secondaries I had written. I put Osteopathic in front of every "doctor" or "physician" to emphasize I was interested in being a DO.

You go to DO school to learn Osteopathic techniques. They don't expect you to be entirely familiar. You should have a vague understanding of "Looking at the patient as a whole" or what not.

I honestly don't think the question is designed to see if you're an expert on Osteopathy.

You REALLY want to shadow a DO though. I think most schools require this. And the ones that don't will appreciate that you've looked into it.

I don't think anybody here suggested the OP needed to be entirely familiar . . . but somewhat familiar would be a fair expectation. OP needs to think about this anyhow, because it isn't just an issue for his secondaries, it's an issue for interviews. He needs to think it through so that in case he gets pinned to a wall by an interviewer who isn't satisfied with answers that are based solely in the fact that he fundamentally just wants to practice medicine. And a well thought out answer on the secondary that does not read like one where osteopathic was stuck in as an afterthought cannot hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
shadowing is usually a good option. if its not available in your area, read the books suggested. i remember some secondaries specifically asked to discuss what exposure you've had with osteopathic medicine. shadowing is usually the easier answer there. as jm192 said, the answer will be very similar to why doctor but it'll be nice to show that you did some homework before applying to osteopathic schools.

What are you going to say when they ask you in an interview the difference between DO and MD and why did you choose DO, etc. Better get prepared.

What are you going to say when they ask you in an interview the difference between DO and MD and why did you choose DO, etc. Better get prepared.

For me, it really doesn't have much to do with the degree, but more so about where i think i'll learn the best, get the best clinical exposure and be prepared the best for my boards. There are definitely some MDs i would pass up for some of the DOs i'm applying to.

When I did my research prior to submitting my DO applications, especially my secondaries, I read two books:

-- "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America by N. Gevitz
-- "Osteopathy: Research & Practice" by A.T. Still

Both books gave some good insight to both osteopathic medicine, its history and challenges, and some OMM techniques. For Dr. Still's book, though, you don't have to go into too much detail. You don't have to be hardcore about or even believe in OMM/OPP, but like the above posters said, you'll still need to answer the "Why DO?" question that most secondaries ask. Good luck!!! :)

There is an osteopathic school in Hawaii?

Edit: Students can go to school in AZ but completely degree in Hawaii???

I think you need a vague idea.

I told them I liked how Osteopaths looked at the person as a whole.

But I don't think it's wrong or bad to say that you weren't really focused on the differences per se--you just applied to all of the schools that you felt would give you a quality medical education MD or DO.

I'm sure if you have a honest and sincere answer you should be fine. Definitely do your research and prepare an answer.

Let me share an experience I had with you. One of the deans at a school I interviewed at sat in front of the entire group as we anxiously waited to begin with the day. He went into detail about what she expect during the interview and he eventually came to the "why DO" question. He insisted that we avoid cliches and the buzzwords surrounding DOs like "whole person" and "holistic." He fervently expressed that we want to be DOs because we want/should want to practice OMM as that is the most distinguishing aspect of being a DO and that any clinician, MD or DO, should look at the "whole person."

Take from it what you want, if any, but I know that school is very proud of their OMM teaching. I didn't necessarily heed his advice, but it made me think about my answer a little bit more.

The best way of proving anything or making a good argument is a personal anecdote that is passionate.

There is an osteopathic school in Hawaii?

Edit: Students can go to school in AZ but completely degree in Hawaii???

AT Still SOMA had a CHC here in Honolulu, but according to forums, effective this school year, Hawaii is not big enough for two medical schools, so it closed down. New students who had chosen Hawaii are now transferred to SOMA's new CHC in Chicago. I had an interview with SOMA, but declined when I received acceptances from my top choices.

OP: The reason why you want to be a doctor doesn't matter, and in fact, should be the same whether you become a DO or MD. However, just as the others posted above, some interviewers will ask specifically "why osteopathic medicine?" and it would be to your benefit if you had a well-thought out answer. I would also stay away from buzzwords like "holistic," and "whole-person" (If you search these threads, you'll see a lot of debate/discussion on this. I'd rather just keep it at that). Just like "apr27" mentioned, both interviewers at my top choices asked this question, and I used the information I gathered from the books I read and from the DO I had shadowed.

Regardless, best of luck to you. The application cycle is a long and draining process, so stay focused and stay healthy. And don't let the waiting consume you -- stay busy and enjoy your life. :)

I am always confused how people can "want to be a DO" without ever having met a DO or shadowed them lol

Or in this case even really knowing what a DO is. It's fascinating.

Reactions: 1 user
Also! The DOs is a good read and I highly recommend it for any pre-med interested in going to DO school.