Can I use a round bur to make my cavity depth??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osahon7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just asking pls

Members don't see this ad.

If you're restoring with composite, sure. But for amalgams or indirect restorations, keep in mind that you would ideally have right angle (or slightly less for amalgam - converging walls) between the floor and walls of the prep.

theoretically yes, but you should use a fissured right angle bur like a 330 or 1556.

round burs are generally used for excavating decay or creating accesses for pulpotomy/pulpectomy/RCT

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're restoring with composite, sure. But for amalgams or indirect restorations, keep in mind that you would ideally have right angle (or slightly less for amalgam - converging walls) between the floor and walls of the prep.
totally agree, i wanted to say the same thing :D

You can like everyone has said, but a 245, 329, or 330 is ideal for amalgam preps. A round bur wont give you convergence and divergence you need like a tapered bur will.

I agree with the other posters with regard to using 330 bur or 1557 burs. 330 is my preference as it provides ideal minimal depth for the materials in non carious areas of the occlusal prep.

However, in the cervical areas, a round bur is perfectly fine for depth and caries removal. In fact , use of the round bur on the gingival floor of class V will provide a slight retentive undercut which is always helpful in preventing dislodgment. Shallow class V might require additional depth and retentive undercuts after round bur excavation with inverted cone burs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk