Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can I use old pcat books to study for the PCAT 2009 exam JUne.

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by BLueMiraH, Jan 6, 2009.

1. BLueMiraH

BLueMiraH Geek in Pink

Pre-Pharmacy
    SO basically I will start studying for the PCATs once I buy my books. I have basically 5-6 months to study for the JUne 2009 exam. Never taken the exam before.

I actually dont remember any organic chem, calculus, or biology. Literally a blank mind..

I Know the test has changed from 2007 but i saw real cheap old versions (2006) books of barrons and kaplan for like 3 dollars online at ebay/amazon. Would it be useless to buy those books just to review concepts becuase the concepts dont change.

Will be using my old bio, ochem, and calc textbooks.

And as for real test practice, use real exams from Cliffs or Pearson or buy the updated new Kaplan 2008-2009.

Or should i just dish out money for new updated books altogether.

How has the test changed from 2006 to now? Is it the number of questions, different topics?

2. diastole

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm using an old version of Kaplan to study now. For Bio and general chem, it looks to be similar to the current version. That book is worth it just for those parts. Organic and math are pretty weak in that book. There is no longer geometry on the test so skip that section.

I can't speak to Barrons but the old Kaplan should be fine. You will need to supplement on the math and organic chemistry parts though.

3. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yeah use the old books. They really don't change from year to year, they just put out a new edition mostly to make more money. The changes were slight, I think just a change in the type of questions for verbal, no more geometry, and different numbers of questions. You should do some research though to make sure that's right. Honestly the review books are more useful for practice tests rather than knowledge because some sections are pretty bare in those books. Old textbooks is the way to go.

4. trailrider400

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Agreed.

5. mbabbas84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I also have the 2007 Kaplan book. I think the concepts are always going to stay the same but they might rephrase the questions. But to tell you the truth, everyone keeps telling me not to study from Kaplan, maybe do the questions in the book but get Collins. You will hear ppl always talking good about Collins, and defnitley you would hear bad things about Kaplan. Get the old books and go over the review sections, and get COLLINS!!! lol.. I am trying to get the 2008 version... do u know anyone???

6. hokierx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i used the 2006 book...worked perfectly for me (got it my freshman year... thats when i started studying)

7. chem1033

Pharmacy Student
    Congrats..................wow how did u do it exactly?

8. Coenzyme

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, there's hardly any difference.

9. pcat24

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hi, may i ask you what were your scores like on pcat?