Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Can I use secondary answers to answer interview questions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by dcguthrie7, 09.23.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. dcguthrie7

dcguthrie7

Pre-Medical
    almost all secondaries ask why physician, why DO? Is it bad to just reiterate what you put for secondaries when they inevitably ask these questions during interviews?

OsteopathicHopeful likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ananasmed

ananasmed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't memorize them and "read" them off directly from your essays, but yes, obviously stay true to your reasons! Keep in mind that interviewers may ask followup questions when you give an answer, asking you to elaborate further.

dcguthrie7 likes this.
  4. dcguthrie7

dcguthrie7

Pre-Medical
    that's what I think too, thanks!

5. OsteopathicHopeful

OsteopathicHopeful 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I personally would try and take a different approach than just reiterating what you said in your secondary. It shows that you have really thought/lived it out. Communication is key in medicine (physician/patient relationship) In medicine you will be required to explain things many different ways depending on the patient and how they understand things. Showing that you can answer the same question differently yet maintaining continuity shows maturity and tact.

dcguthrie7 likes this.
  6. ananasmed

ananasmed 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agreed - I meant that if you wrote in your secondary about choosing to go into osteopathic medicine after some shadowing experience that taught you X, Y, and Z, you can definitely mention those same experiences again when asked in the interview, but be prepared to share some specific stories from that experience if asked for more info. You shouldn't think that you CAN'T talk about those things simply because you've already written them. Your interviewer may not have scoured every word of your essays and might not even know about that experience unless you tell them!

OsteopathicHopeful likes this.
  7. dcguthrie7

dcguthrie7

Pre-Medical
    I pick up what you're putting down :thumbup:

ananasmed likes this.
  8. dcguthrie7

dcguthrie7

Pre-Medical
    I definitely have a couple additional examples I will use if asked these questions. But the general reasons for becoming a physician are obviously the same.

OsteopathicHopeful and ananasmed like this.

About the ads