Tippyboat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Things like, for example, NICU or COBRA law.

I just don't have the space to spell them out. And I feel like explaining it would be kind of insulting, since the readers are science/health care people. And no I'm not using it in stupid ways, it fits into my story. What do you think?

naijaboi

MS0
Nov 20, 2009
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
If you have to use it, first explain it unless it is that obvious like ICU. Your readers can also be first year medical students - and they might not know it.

austinap

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Status
Things like, for example, NICU or COBRA law.

I just don't have the space to spell them out. And I feel like explaining it would be kind of insulting, since the readers are science/health care people. And no I'm not using it in stupid ways, it fits into my story. What do you think?

Write your PS such that a moderately smart high school student could understand it. You don't want your reader to have to go to google to figure out what you're talking about, it breaks the flow.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Keep in mind that your readers are everyone from medical students, to 80 year old semi-retired clinicians, to professors of basic sciences and medical humanities. Your essay should be intelligible to any well educated adult (reader of the NY Times or Wall St Journal).