SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can I work in canada with US residency training and UK med school graduate?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Blitz2006, Sep 30, 2014.

  1. Blitz2006

    Blitz2006 10+ Year Member

    Nov 20, 2006
    So Im Canadian citizen.

    Graduated from Uk for medical school.

    Now doing psych residency in usa.

    If I do FRCPC Psych (caandian boards) when I am done my american residency, can I practice in canada?

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Blitz2006

    Blitz2006 10+ Year Member

    Nov 20, 2006
  4. cbest

    cbest 10+ Year Member

    Dec 9, 2006
    Make sure you have equal number of years of GME training as Canadian psych residents. There are a few differences between the two systems. For instance my specialty, physiatry, is 4 years in the US but 5 in Canada so I'm doing an ACGME accredited fellowship in order to have equivalent number of years of training.
  5. Medstart108

    Medstart108 5+ Year Member

    Mar 24, 2012
    I believe there is a need for psych residents in Ontario actually. I think they will recognize training from the US if its the same time and is ACGME accredited. Your UK medical degree won't hurt you at all, its all about your residency training.

    On a side note, how are you doing blitz2006? Not sure if you remember me but I posted here back when I was deciding which route to take.
  6. NewCanadian

    NewCanadian CdnNurse (ret.) 10+ Year Member

    Jan 8, 2005
    If you are interested in practising in Ontario, contact Health Force Ontario. Their advisors can shepherd you through the whole process of finding a job or setting up a practice as well as applying for a medical licence.

Share This Page