Can I work in the ER as a family doctor in the NHSC?

Discussion in 'NHSC | PHS | IHS' started by masterwares, Jan 14, 2018.

1. masterwares

Medical Student
    Wondering if this is possible with a nhsc repayment ... Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sb247

sb247 Doer of things

You would have to take an nhsc approved job, not just be a family doc. Last time I looked those didn’t exist but you can literally search their site for jobs that are approved. You can see if there is an ED stuff there

4. masterwares

Medical Student
    I'm looking on the nhsc workforce site and they dont say anything about that.

They don't even list salaries for FM positions and i've read that the jobs out there are paying 30k under the national average... which would mean that the loan repayment doesn't make a difference.

5. sb247

sb247 Doer of things

Of course they often pay less, they either offer loan repayment or have a captive market of nhsc students trapped

6. masterwares

Medical Student

This is Bs. I'm withdrawing from the nhsc. I can't do this to myself. They don't post enough information out there to make it worth it for me.

7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Emergency Medicine is not an NHSC approved residency. Thus, until one completes residency, ER work is not likely.

There are plenty of ERs staffed by family physicians, though (generally in rural areas).

Goro likes this.
  8. simpler2

simpler2 person
    Physician

Attending Physician
    If you take a position in a rural town, then there would be possibility of covering ER AND meeting obligations to NHSC. Information available from HRSA sites on the NHSC search page is updated by the sites, not the NHSC. Technically, any "lack of information" would be due to sites not updating this. Finding an ideal job as a physician is difficult and I would caution against gravitating towards positions or places that offer all information you could ever want...they may be heavily recruiting due to a very unpleasant work environment. At least with NHSC jobs, with lack of information, you will be forming your own opinion about a job =).

Also, 30K in loan payback is not the same as a salary that is 30K higher. The former is exponentially more beneficial due to lack of taxation and the interest it allows you to avoid over time.

9. pogo303

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone, I am student just accepted into med school. I will be attending this July. I cannot find any information about when the application for NHSC opens up! When can I apply???

mosothoamosoeu likes this.