Can I Work in the USA with a Canadian Psychology Equivalence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismail Baddou

Reaction score
I am currently trying to return to Canada to work as a neuropsychologist. I have a master's degree in clinical psychology from Belgium. To work in Canada, specifically in Quebec, I need to request an equivalence for my degree. This process requires me to complete approximately 1600 hours of supervised internships and earn a few additional credits at a university.

Once I fulfill these requirements, I will be added to the OPQ (Ordre des psychologues du Québec - Quebec Psychologists Order), which will allow me to work as a clinical neuropsychologist in Quebec and other provinces of Canada.

My question is: if I am recognized by the Canadian provinces and can work in Canada, can I also work in the United States? Given that Canada is part of the ASPPB (Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards), would my equivalence and membership in the Quebec Psychologists Order be sufficient to work in the U.S., even if I don't have a doctoral degree?

Members don't see this ad.

With a masters degree, no, you wouldn't be able to work or refer to yourself as a psychologist in the U.S.. It's a term specifically reserved for doctoral-level providers, except in a few rare circumstances in which folks from years/decades ago were grandfathered in. It's also the prevailing view that neuropsychologists here complete a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in neuropsychology (in addition to other training completed at the pre-doctoral level), although the only state I know of that formally recognizes neuropsychology as a separate specialty area in its regulatory code is Louisiana.

There might be masters-level licenses you could qualify for (LPC?), depending on the state. You could also likely work as a psychometrist, although depending on the state and employer, may need certification for such.

Reactions: 1 user