Can I work part time as a psychiatrist with private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Overhead (especially insurance) is probably not as high. I want to work 9 months of the year and take 3 months to travel the world. I'm planning on having $320K in med school debt, but that's cause I'm borrowing the maximum and planning on hoarding the remaining money I don't need ($20K/year) in a 2.5% APR savings account to buy my first house in cash. I plan on doing PAYE, so my monthly payments will be lower if I take 3 months off to travel the world. I've always wanted to travel the world and visit as many countries and experience as many cultures as possible, so I chose medicine since it allows me to make enough money working part time to afford a comfortable lifestyle.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you posting in the psychiatry section? This lifestyle plan sounds like it might be better suited to EM or even international medicine.

Within psychiatry, with this lifestyle goal you are probably better off taking locum tenens gigs rather than entering private practice. Private practice involves the long-term ongoing care of outpatients who are not going to be pleased if they have a mental health need during the 3 months of the year that you are backpacking in Cambodia.

Reactions: 4 users
Might be worth doing some research on your school loan, PAYE and house cash purchase strategy.
WCI would be a good place to start.

Reactions: 3 users