Can IM Endocrinology practice in reproductive endo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Full Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
May 2, 2002
Reaction score
Or is that exclusively reserved for OB/GYN Reproductive Endocrinologists?

Members don't see this ad.
I don't know the answer but I have wondered this also. I know of one person in my town who is boarded in medicine, endocrinology, OB, and reproductive endocrinology. That's a little overboard. It seems like you could be helpful working in a RE clinic part time seeing patients that are not the usual idiopathic infertility.
since there is an element of surgery to RE, i would doubt that an IM endocrinologist could do it... just a thought...

and regardless, you can't be board certified in RE unless you've gone through OB?Gyn and then an RE fellowship. (you're not eligible to sit for the exam) without board certification, you'll have a hard time getting hospital privileges to see RE patients.

i suppose you could just setup your practice around fertility and skip the procedure-type interventions. (in vitro, surgeries, etc)
yes you can, just have to do research and go to a program that is strong in Repro endo. Harbor-UCLA is one of the best endo fellowships with Repro emphasis.