pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello everyone,

For those of you who have taken the DAT, I have a question. Can I take the DAT right after finishing with the first O-chem?? I would get a good grade in the class of course.
Do you think I would know enough for the DAT O-chem section?? The second O-chem is just further review right??? I would love to be able to do this.

Thanks in advanced

Mel :D

Notoriousjae

DAT Rockstar
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
pre-dent said:
Hello everyone,

For those of you who have taken the DAT, I have a question. Can I take the DAT right after finishing with the first O-chem?? I would get a good grade in the class of course.
Do you think I would know enough for the DAT O-chem section?? The second O-chem is just further review right??? I would love to be able to do this.

Thanks in advanced

how do you know you will get a good grade in the class when you havent even started taking it yet.

OP
pre-dent

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
Notoriousjae said:
how do you know you will get a good grade in the class when you havent even started taking it yet.
Because I will do whatever it takes to get a good grade. Can't think of another reason. :p

About the Ads

kokobean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
California
Status
Dentist
pre-dent said:
Because I will do whatever it takes to get a good grade. Can't think of another reason. :p

well you have self confidence, that's for sure!
OChem II is NOT just review of OChem I. You learn more about biochemistry - sugars, cabrohydrates, nucleic acids,lipids and polymers, and a lot more reactions. Check out a kaplan book, and see what you're covering in Ochem I and see what's missing.

you could still take the DAT after Ochem I. Just know all those reactions.. I knew someone who took the DAt before ANY ochem class and did alright.

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
Indiana
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I would say it's dangerous, but with your confidence and assuming you are good at teaching yourself (really good), it could be done. But I will say that Ochem II was quite a bit harder to me.

Ochem I, you are learning the principles behind organics and do the groundwork.

Ochem II, you learn alot of reactions. YOu learn more trends and stereochemistry, and you delve into synthesis.

I'm just gonna say it would be difficult, but if you feel you are border line genius, or if you have the time to devote to learning all of Ochem, then I say go for it.

I want to clarify, it does not take a genius to ace ochem II, but to teach yourself ochem II while trying to study everything else needed for the DAT would be problematic to say the least. I'm going to assume you haven't had all the biology courses to cover the material on that either?

This will only compound the problems. A strong knowledge of Cell biology, genetics and some anatomy would be a great asset before embarking on your endeavor. But weigh your options and do what you feel you can do.

OP
pre-dent

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
biocmp said:
I would say it's dangerous, but with your confidence and assuming you are good at teaching yourself (really good), it could be done. But I will say that Ochem II was quite a bit harder to me.

Ochem I, you are learning the principles behind organics and do the groundwork.

Ochem II, you learn alot of reactions. YOu learn more trends and stereochemistry, and you delve into synthesis.

I'm just gonna say it would be difficult, but if you feel you are border line genius, or if you have the time to devote to learning all of Ochem, then I say go for it.

I want to clarify, it does not take a genius to ace ochem II, but to teach yourself ochem II while trying to study everything else needed for the DAT would be problematic to say the least. I'm going to assume you haven't had all the biology courses to cover the material on that either?

This will only compound the problems. A strong knowledge of Cell biology, genetics and some anatomy would be a great asset before embarking on your endeavor. But weigh your options and do what you feel you can do.
Hello biocmp,

Thank you for your response. I only need O-chem to take the DAT I have the other classes. I would have also taken Cell and molecular Bio, Ecology, and Dev. Biology by that time. I know these will help. I want to score well on the DAT like we all do, but I wanted to take the DAT a little earlier to give me the chance to re-takle it if I have to. I don't want to take it in may and for whatever reason have to retake it and prolong my application process.

I am far from genious believe me. But I can work my arse off. :p

OP
pre-dent

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
kokobean said:
well you have self confidence, that's for sure!
OChem II is NOT just review of OChem I. You learn more about biochemistry - sugars, cabrohydrates, nucleic acids,lipids and polymers, and a lot more reactions. Check out a kaplan book, and see what you're covering in Ochem I and see what's missing.

you could still take the DAT after Ochem I. Just know all those reactions.. I knew someone who took the DAt before ANY ochem class and did alright.
Hello kokobean,

Thank you for your response :D It's greatly appreciated.

Arsenalista

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I just took Ochem I and did very poorly in it, but I got a 19 on the OChem section. OChem was far more general than I expected it to be. My OChem course was very specific and knitpicky; thankfully, the DAT was not. It is certainly doable.

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Org. II is definitely not just a review of Org. I. lol. It's about 2x harder, with about 3x more rxns to learn plus synthesis problems out the yang!! More rings, bio molecules....blah, blah and more and more...Oh, and I was the same you were with the "Oh, I know I'll get a good grade." I went in overconfident and was totally taken by surprise. It was my first B in my prereqs, lol. If you have a good teacher, you'll probably be fine w/ just the first part..(maybe) Good luck to you!!! :luck:

714guy

counting down till 5/2012
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
pre-dent said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advanced

I'll let you know my score for O-chem this Monday. HaHa I have only taking the first part of O-chem also, but i did get the highest grade. :p :p I had to learn a lot of reaction on my own to prepare for the DAT though. On topscore I've been getting 18/19s.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
If you can take it after Ochem II, then I would suggest you do that. I'm not saying you couldn't get a decent score by just taking Ochem I and then studying a lot of the uncovered info on your own and taking the DAT, but if you took Ochem II also and then studied, then a lot of the material and not just some, would be review.

You'd probably do better if you took Ochem II before the DAT, and then your Ochem score might be higher...let's say 24 instead of 20. If you don't mind getting the 20 and having a lower Total Science and lower Academic Average than you might have been able to get, then go for it.

Of course, weird things can happen, maybe you score higher without Ochem II, you never know.

OP
pre-dent

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
DMD to Be said:
Org. II is definitely not just a review of Org. I. lol. It's about 2x harder, with about 3x more rxns to learn plus synthesis problems out the yang!! More rings, bio molecules....blah, blah and more and more...Oh, and I was the same you were with the "Oh, I know I'll get a good grade." I went in overconfident and was totally taken by surprise. It was my first B in my prereqs, lol. If you have a good teacher, you'll probably be fine w/ just the first part..(maybe) Good luck to you!!! :luck:

Hello DMD to Be,

I am not overconfident, I just think that since I am the kind of student that is willing to put in whatever it takes to a class, I usually walk out with a good grade. I don't walk in a class thinking it will be easy OOHHH NO NEVER! I usually go in thinking it will be HARD :scared: but ALWAYS knowing that nothing is impossible and that even if I don't have a life during that semester I will do it. I know the instructor has alot to do with it as well. Now you scared me about O-chem's difficulty in general. :scared:

Thank you DMD to Be for your feedback it is definately appreciated.

OP
pre-dent

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
714guy said:
I'll let you know my score for O-chem this Monday. HaHa I have only taking the first part of O-chem also, but i did get the highest grade. :p :p I had to learn a lot of reaction on my own to prepare for the DAT though. On topscore I've been getting 18/19s.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!! :D

MEL :D

electron

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Youll do fine if you put your mind to it. I personally thought the first O-chem was the hardest for me to grasp. Everything else seems like memorization which is not to bead for me so my grade dramatically improved in O-chem. I think it is very possible to learn all the O-chem you need for the DAT w/o taking anythign beyond the first quarter of O-chem. You seem like you have the mind set to definatley pull it off

good luck

dnguyen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I took the DAT without ever taking GChem II, and I still managed to get a 21 on that section. It's not the same section, but it's manageable if you really focus.

abzirian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Pre-Dental
The DAT orgo section really isnt anything like the orgo classes at college.. actually, i found that the orgo section on the dat was easy enough to take without ever having taken the class -- looking it over through a kaplan book seemed to be enough.. but it may be different for everyone

OP
pre-dent

pre-dent

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello guys, :p

Thank you electron, dnguyen, abzirian for your feedback and encouragement.
I am going to give it a shot, I have nothing to lose? :confused: I'll study my arse off during X-mas break. If I don't do good in the O-chem section when I take it in January, I'll just wait till may when I am done with the second part of O-chem. I'll let you all know how I did in it.

Thanks again

About the Ads