Can Joining Premed AMSA hurt app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smallbiz2doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to join this club purely because I have no leadership experience. I have my own business but they aren't going to care about that because it is just me, I'm not managing any employees or contractors (and it is not in the best interest for the field I am in). Being only part-time now with new interest in medicine, I'm not dedicated enough to my current field to be considered a leader of a networking group, for example.

I thought AMSA would be a perfect way to learn about the issues I can get involved in that compliment my new interest in medicine, give me communication/leadership/involvement direction, etc... but I'm seeing all these old posts here about how it's really left-wing, so I'm afraid that adcoms will toss my app as soon as they see I am AMSA, thinking I'm just some political nutcase.

If that is true, what would be a good alternative to AMSA "training for future doctors with social responsibility, etc..." type of program to join that will develop me personally and professionally, give me better awareness of issues in the medical field (and honestly, help me overcome my fears of public speaking/talking to important people)? I thought about seeing if there is a pre-med program in AMA, but I hear a lot of doctors hate that org now, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to join this club purely because I have no leadership experience. I have my own business but they aren't going to care about that because it is just me, I'm not managing any employees or contractors (and it is not in the best interest for the field I am in). Being only part-time now with new interest in medicine, I'm not dedicated enough to my current field to be considered a leader of a networking group, for example.

I thought AMSA would be a perfect way to learn about the issues I can get involved in that compliment my new interest in medicine, give me communication/leadership/involvement direction, etc... but I'm seeing all these old posts here about how it's really left-wing, so I'm afraid that adcoms will toss my app as soon as they see I am AMSA, thinking I'm just some political nutcase.

If that is true, what would be a good alternative to AMSA "training for future doctors with social responsibility, etc..." type of program to join that will develop me personally and professionally, give me better awareness of issues in the medical field (and honestly, help me overcome my fears of public speaking/talking to important people)? I thought about seeing if there is a pre-med program in AMA, but I hear a lot of doctors hate that org now, too.

No of course it won't hurt your app. Tons of people in AMSA get into medical school. Of course, joining it certainly won't help your app. I'd also take what they say with a grain of salt. I've heard a lot of misleading information from them, such as "The more medical mission trips, the better!" and "Caribbean is a good option too!" and such.

If you want a leadership position, I would also discourage trying to get it in AMSA. It's usually the biggest premed org at every school, so it's very tough to get leadership roles.

Reactions: 1 user
honestly AMSA is a pretty boring EC to have on an app to med school. You'd be better off trying to organize/lead a group that was about one of your hobbies or outside passions.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly AMSA is a pretty boring EC to have on an app to med school. You'd be better off trying to organize/lead a group that was about one of your hobbies or outside passions.

I was hoping to use all the stuff they teach in it to learn how to be a good leader for other things, to get the sort of "grooming" that I missed by not already growing up with leadership experience, that way I'm not just in a position but actually doing some good there... not making a complete fool of myself when I get up to talk, but actually get taken seriously, etc... Would something like toastmasters be a better option?

Last edited:
I was hoping to use all the stuff they teach in it to learn how to be a good leader for other things, to get the sort of "grooming" that I missed by not already growing up with leadership experience, that way I'm not just in a position but actually doing some good there... not making a complete fool of myself when I get up to talk, but actually get taken seriously, etc...

It depends on how AMSA is run at your school. AMSA at my undergrad was a complete joke, they rarely met as a group and they never did anything outside of meetings. But we had another pre-med organization, which I was a part of, that was very active and provided not only substantial leadership experience, but also volunteering, shadowing, interaction with the med school/med students/faculty, mentoring, etc.

Joining AMSA or any other pre-med organization would absolutely not toss your app aside. But you need to do your homework and look into the quality of AMSA at your school to see if it's worth your time. The majority of pre-med clubs are worthless, but it is possible to find one that is very worthwhile.

Reactions: 1 users
The Pre-Med AMSA at my undergrad organizes the annual conference that brings in folks from all of the surrounding CCs + undergrad. I know a few people who've been heavily involved with the group and have gotten into great medical schools (In state/CA even). However, this is circumstantial, and it largely depends on how involved you would be in the org and what your org provides to the community and its members/students.

Personally, I think it's better to be more well-rounded and have leadership experience in areas that aren't necessarily "Pre-Med" related, just because most of your application would already be geared towards that (clinical experience, research, some of the other volunteering, coursework, etc). However, it will not "hurt" your app to be in this group - it doesn't seem like it would "stand out" that much either though.

I'm fairly heavily involved in my pre-med AMSA chapter at my undergrad, and have been accepted to some decent schools this cycle. However, I don't think it was the deciding factor for my app.. more of a "cherry on top" sort of deal.

Yes, I'm thinking of it as something that won't necessarily stand out on its own but help me be more effective in other areas (kind of like how homework is worth squat but actually doing it gives you practice for exams). I'm glad to hear some have had good experience with it, and I'm definitely not as worried now about the political views of the organization reflecting on me negatively.

Last edited: