can listerine cause cancer ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broadway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can long term use of listerine cause oral cancer?

Members don't see this ad.

Can long term use of listerine cause oral cancer?
if it was known to cause cancer, do you think it would really be sold without any warning on the label???? heck, considering it is an OTC, if it caused cancer do you think it would be sold at all???

Members don't see this ad :)
It contains alcohol which is known to contribute to oral/esophageal cancers.

I personally don't think it causes oral cancer any more often than red wine.:)

In my "Biology of Cancer" class 12 years ago, I did learn that Listerine do increase cancer risk due to its high alcohol content (25%). The company have since reduced the alcohol content in Listerine for that reason so I do believe it is relatively safe now. Keep in mind everything causes cancer nowaday; research out of USC today show that eating too much grapefruit (1/4) daily increase your chance of breast cancer 30%.

if it was known to cause cancer, do you think it would really be sold without any warning on the label???? heck, considering it is an OTC, if it caused cancer do you think it would be sold at all???

There is a handfull of products that increase the risk of cancer and are still sold. Studies have shown that there is a measurable increase in the risk of cancer as a result of daily consumption of processed meats because of the nitrates content. There is also some research on saccarin (however the hell it is spelled) and it's carcniogenic affect.

Deoderant also causes cancer, lets see you live without THAT eh!
(anti perspirant though)

There is a handfull of products that increase the risk of cancer and are still sold. Studies have shown that there is a measurable increase in the risk of cancer as a result of daily consumption of processed meats because of the nitrates content. There is also some research on saccarin (however the hell it is spelled) and it's carcniogenic affect.

i agree, OTC does not always equal harmless

Cigarettes cause cancer and they are still widely sold. Just to argue the 'would it still cell if it caused cancer' statement.:D

Not being a jerk though, just stating the government conspiracies as I see them. :cool::D:thumbup:

Cigarettes cause cancer and they are still widely sold. Just to argue the 'would it still cell if it caused cancer' statement.:D

Not being a jerk though, just stating the government conspiracies as I see them. :cool::D:thumbup:

yes, but there are warnings on those things that are sold that cause cancer. but yeah, almost anything in excess will probably cause cancer.

Alcohol in mouthrinses is only used as solubilizer and there is no evidence to oral cancer. --- According to FDA and ADA findings "Present data has alleviated the subcommittee's concer between alcohol-containing mouthrinses and oropharyngeal cancer" FDA, 1997.

It is the chemicals and additives found in beverage alcohol have been found to cause cancer. Carinogens such as urethane are found in alcoholic beverages... (biological therapies VOL 9 (1) Ciancio editor.

Deoderant also causes cancer, lets see you live without THAT eh!
(anti perspirant though)

I think you are thinking of the link between alzheimers and aluminum found in anti-perspirant deodorant. I just use regular deodorant and sweat out good smell all day :). Besides, everything causes cancer nowadays.

I am never surprised to hear findings of new carcinogens, but too much grapefruit? Gimme a break. Honestly I think the #1 cause of cancer is from an unhealthy immune system, be it from diet or exposure to foreign substances. Your immune system is made to deal with almost anything, but if it's not up to speed, cancer takes over.

Smoking-Progress_bar.gif