Can medical schools see my medical/health records?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolomghelp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
During residency and what not, will they have access to these?
Long story short, went to urgent care for an eye infection a few months ago, saw they messed up my note and put my diagnoses as nicotine abuse/dependence; eye infection (forgot the medical term they used). And, they messed up my social history by stating something along the lines of drug abuse or whatever. Didn't think it was a big deal before, which is why I went months without caring for it.

This urgent care has messed up my physician notes before, simple things such as weight/height/race, etc. I never thought it was a big deal.

But, now I'm wondering if I apply to residency, if they will see this information and make a big deal out of it. I have called the urgent care so they can fix it, but I have to fill out a form, that first needs to get approved by the person who looked at me, and then they have to mail it back.

I don't even know if she will remember me or take out the time to do this, because obviously, she has better things to do and this seems like a very small issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you keep going back there for care? Find a new place. Sometime it might be important that you have accurate records.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you keep going back there for care? Find a new place. Sometime it might be important that you have accurate records.

I guess for convenience purposes. I'll be moving away for medical school in 2 months, so, this will change.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can petition for it to be corrected through their medical records department. We get requests when providers accidentally chart the wrong side (ex. Right vs left foot).

Reactions: 1 user