Can medical schools see where you have been accepted or rejected before they make their decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananafish94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that after schools accept you they can see the "multiple acceptances" report in February, but before they make a decision on you, can they see how many schools you have been accepted to and have that influence their decision? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, they can't see any other schools' decisions before they make theirs.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! I'm asking because there was a post recently from one of the adcoms on here (I don't remember which one) who said that they could see that somebody they interviewed hadn't been accepted anywhere yet, but maybe I was just interpreting that wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
does the multiple acceptance report always come out in February?

I believe it shows acceptances offered by the schools, not the status of the offer by the acceptee. So once you have been accepted, you will show up on there as such. Doesnt matter if you turned it down
This is a point I'm confused about, and I haven't been able to find convincing answers. Would you be able to find a source for this? Sorry to put you on the spot ;)

I believe it shows acceptances offered by the schools, not the status of the offer by the acceptee. So once you have been accepted, you will show up on there as such. Doesnt matter if you turned it down
After it comes out, Multiple Accepts is updated every working day. When an applicant relinquishes an acceptance, it disappears from multiple accepts within a day or so. If the school does not archive the reports they may not know the history of the cycle for a particular applicant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
And for the record, DO schools never, ever see where you've been accepted to MD schools (or other DO schools) and vice versa.

I know that after schools accept you they can see the "multiple acceptances" report in February, but before they make a decision on you, can they see how many schools you have been accepted to and have that influence their decision? Thanks!

After it comes out, Multiple Accepts is updated every working day. When an applicant relinquishes an acceptance, it disappears from multiple accepts within a day or so. If the school does not archive the reports they may not know the history of the cycle for a particular applicant.
Interesting - so if we are accepted to a particular school, but do not hold our spot there, it won't ever show up on the report?

Interesting - so if we are accepted to a particular school, but do not hold our spot there, it won't ever show up on the report?
If you hold that acceptance until after Multiple Accepts is released, it will be visible to the other schools that have accepted you until it is relinquished.

Reactions: 1 user
If you hold that acceptance until after Multiple Accepts is released, it will be visible to the other schools that have accepted you until it is relinquished.
Somewhat related question:
A friend of mine recently said that the UC schools share with each other if they offer an interview to a candidate. For example, UCI could see that UCSF had granted him an interview. I had never heard this and was skeptical since, among other reasons, they all use drastically different softwares for secondaries/portals.

Is there any basis to this? Does interview invitation data ever get tabulated and shared in a standardized way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhat related question:
A friend of mine recently said that the UC schools share with each other if they offer an interview to a candidate. For example, UCI could see that UCSF had granted him an interview. I had never heard this and was skeptical since, among other reasons, they all use drastically different softwares for secondaries/portals.

Is there any basis to this? Does interview invitation data ever get tabulated and shared in a standardized way?
Be skeptical, be very skeptical.
The UC's are competing with each other, not collaborating.
We will all see where accepted candidates are holding in 9 days. This is not the same as sharing interview information.

We will all see where accepted candidates are holding in 9 days. This is not the same as sharing interview information.
Good to know my intuition wasn't misguided

I know this was probably asked before... Let's say you're holding a few acceptances and your stats are on the high end for your state school are they likely to cough up a good scholarship after they see you have other options... And let's say you had a crappy interview but the state school still accepted you.

Can a school that has accepted you see where you got rejected or applied at all?

Last edited:
Thanks! Another question - does the National Acceptance Report show WHERE the applicant got accepted, not just whether they got accepted or not?

No

The Multiple Acceptance Report, which is released and updated daily in February, allows only schools that have accepted you, where else you are holding acceptances. They will see this only after they have accepted you. It does not show to anything to schools where you have not been accepted, nor does it show to any schools at any time where else you may have applied to and are awaiting actions. This can be used by schools to estimate how many spots they may fill and how many acceptances over the number of seats they should offer.

The National Acceptance Report, which is released starting May 1st (after action deadline of April 30th) allows every school to see all applicants with acceptance or matriculated action. If I am not mistaken, it does not indicate waitlisted status as that is a school specific standard/action. So if you are on a waitlist in mid-May, a school can see if you have acceptances else where prior to offering you a spot.

Thanks for the info! Quick follow-up questions:

1. It looks like during the period (2/10-5/1) after the Multiple Acceptance Report gets released and before the National Acceptance Report gets released, if a school puts an applicant on the wait list and then sends out the acceptance notice before the National Acceptance Report gets released, then that said school will have access to the multiple acceptance report of the applicant, if (s)he has any other acceptance?

2. When an applicant who has at least one other acceptance gets wait listed, during the period after the Multiple Acceptance Report gets released and before the National Acceptance Report gets released, does the school who did the WL have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report? If memory serves me right I remember @gyngyn mentioned somewhere on SDN that starting on 3/15 schools that put an applicant on the WL then can see his/her other acceptances?

Just to clarify, you mean that only schools that have accepted a candidate will be able to see what other schools that candidate has been accepted to? Or do you mean all schools, regardless of whether they accepted a candidate, will be able to see which schools a candidate has been accepted to?

1. It looks like during the period (2/10-5/1) after the Multiple Acceptance Report gets released and before the National Acceptance Report gets released, if a school puts an applicant on the wait list and then sends out the acceptance notice before the National Acceptance Report gets released, then that said school will have access to the multiple acceptance report of the applicant, if (s)he has any other acceptance?

2. When an applicant who has at least one other acceptance gets wait listed, during the period after the Multiple Acceptance Report gets released and before the National Acceptance Report gets released, does the school who did the WL have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report? If memory serves me right I remember @gyngyn mentioned somewhere on SDN that starting on 3/15 schools that put an applicant on the WL then can see his/her other acceptances?

If my understanding is correct, this is something between the National Acceptance Report and Multiple Acceptance Report?

1. yes
2.yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to clarify, you mean that only schools that have accepted a candidate will be able to see what other schools that candidate has been accepted to? Or do you mean all schools, regardless of whether they accepted a candidate, will be able to see which schools a candidate has been accepted to?
Bolded is correct, starting February 10th.

1. yes
2.yes.

Can schools who have waitlisted a candidate who has not been accepted to any schools during the 2/10-5/1 period see that the applicant has not been accepted at any schools?

If the 2nd question from @Mwooster's comment is true, then schools who have waitlisted a candidate will know that s/he has not been accepted (during the 2/10-5/1 period), since they will not see that s/he has been accepted anywhere.

Is this correct?

1. yes
2.yes.

Thanks! Just to clarify a bit more... in regards to the schools that put applicants on the wait list, do these schools have access to these WL'ed students' Multiple Acceptance Report starting on Feb. 10th, or do they have to wait until March 15th or when they accept the WL'ed student, whichever comes first?

Can schools who have waitlisted a candidate who has not been accepted to any schools during the 2/10-5/1 period see that the applicant has not been accepted at any schools?

If the 2nd question from @Mwooster's comment is true, then schools who have waitlisted a candidate will know that s/he has not been accepted (during the 2/10-5/1 period), since they will not see that s/he has been accepted anywhere.

Is this correct?
A school that has waitlisted you will see on March 15th whether any schools have accepted you.

Reactions: 4 users
A school that has waitlisted you will see on March 15th whether any schools have accepted you.

Logically, then, if a school has waitlisted a candidate, they will know whether or not that candidate has been accepted or not accepted by March 15th. In other words, by March 15th, a school that has waitlisted a candidate effectively has the same information that a school that has accepted a candidate does (i.e., multiple acceptances report).

Do schools generally use this information when handing out acceptances? Do they try to gauge whether a waitlisted candidate will attend their institution, etc.? That seems to be the only reason why such a feature exists.

Logically, then, if a school has waitlisted a candidate, they will know whether or not that candidate has been accepted or not accepted by March 15th. In other words, by March 15th, a school that has waitlisted a candidate effectively has the same information that a school that has accepted a candidate does (i.e., multiple acceptances report).

Do schools generally use this information when handing out acceptances? Do they try to gauge whether a waitlisted candidate will attend their institution, etc.? That seems to be the only reason why such a feature exists.
Multiple accepts can be used to estimate whether a sufficient number of acceptances have been offered.
Waitlisted candidates holding no acceptances are more likely to matriculate, but that doesn't change the inherent desirability of the ones holding multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! Just to clarify a bit more... in regards to the schools that put applicants on the wait list, do these schools have access to these WL'ed students' Multiple Acceptance Report starting on Feb. 10th, or do they have to wait until March 15th or when they accept the WL'ed student, whichever comes first?
We have to wait until March 15th.

Multiple accepts can be used to estimate whether a sufficient number of acceptances have been offered.
Waitlisted candidates holding no acceptances are more likely to matriculate, but that doesn't change the inherent desirability of the ones holding multiple acceptances.

Could this information (i.e., for schools that can see multiple or no acceptances for waitlisted candidates) either be used to extend offers to a # of multiple-accepted candidates and/or a # of non-accepted candidates?

I assume that a school would either have to extend acceptance to a "greater" number of already-accepted waitlistees and/or a "fewer" number of non-accepted waitlistees. The latter group would presumably be higher yield in many cases.

Is there a certain trend for which type of waitlistee is more attractive? Or is acceptance status not particularly important when admitting candidates from the waitlist.

Could this information (i.e., for schools that can see multiple or no acceptances for waitlisted candidates) either be used to extend offers to a # of multiple-accepted candidates and/or a # of non-accepted candidates?

I assume that a school would either have to extend acceptance to a "greater" number of already-accepted waitlistees and/or a "fewer" number of non-accepted waitlistees. The latter group would presumably be higher yield in many cases.

Is there a certain trend for which type of waitlistee is more attractive? Or is acceptance status not particularly important when admitting candidates from the waitlist.
The answers to these questions will vary depending on the schools in question.

Is the admissions director looking at the daily acceptance update to see the next candidate in the pile has 8 acceptances and is unlikely to take theirs?
I'm a little confused by this part. After April 30 (or May 2 this year due to the weekend?), applicants are only allowed to hold a single acceptance. If we are talking about waitlist movement in May or June, how would they be able to see all 8 acceptances when the applicant can only hold 1 at a time? Does AMCAS disclose the entire acceptance history?

Sorry, my error on that line. During April, any school can see the National Acceptance Report and see the acceptance history of any applicant.
Interesting! Thanks for clarifying. I was unable to find any mention of the National Acceptance Report on the AMCAS website.

It shouldn't matter. and there is an illogical coherency in your thinking

If the school gave the spot to the person who had other acceptances and might not even attend their school, that person would most likely decline and the spot would still go to the person who doesn't have any acceptances. It's really just a matter to avoid wasting time. But as far as how it affects you in the end, that doesn't matter.

It shouldn't matter. and there is an illogical coherency in your thinking

If the school gave the spot to the person who had other acceptances and might not even attend their school, that person would most likely decline and the spot would still go to the person who doesn't have any acceptances. It's really just a matter to avoid wasting time. But as far as how it affects you in the end, that doesn't matter.

The first sentence in my quote refers to the fact that schools will know if their waitlisted candidate has been accepted to another med school. If they don't have information indicating that their waitlistee has been accepted by another, then logically, the absence of this information suggests that the waitlistee had not been accepted anywhere. This seems obvious but I was just making it clear that this is sounds identical to the information provided by the multiple acceptance report but is, in this case, available to schools that have not accepted a student but have waitlisted him/her.

However, I did wonder how this information is used by med schools in handing out acceptances and whether there's a preference for one waitlisted candidate over another (i.e., one that's been accepted elsewhere vs. one that has not). Theoretically, a school can hand out acceptances only to waitlistees who have been accepted elsewhere (and not hand out any acceptances to waitlistees who have not been accepted elsewhere) and have all of those candidates attend their school. This is obviously very improbable statistically, but it could be that waitlistees who have multiple acceptances are generally more competitive and would be extended offers before those without any offers at all. Point being that acceptances do not have to be extended to any great number of waitlistees without any offers anywhere. I'd imagine, though, that in the end, acceptance status has very little influence on acceptance offers to waitlisted candidates.

From all that's been discussed in this thread, there's one thing I wonder about the acceptance report made available to med schools who waitlist their candidates (i.e., on March 15th, schools will know which other schools a waitlisted candidate has been accepted) :

What percentage of the total acceptance offers (for a particular school) are extended to waitlisted candidates after March 15th? This could provide some insight into how this information is used to extend acceptance offers.

The first sentence in my quote refers to the fact that schools will know if their waitlisted candidate has been accepted to another med school. If they don't have information indicating that their waitlistee has been accepted by another, then logically, the absence of this information suggests that the waitlistee had not been accepted anywhere. This seems obvious but I was just making it clear that this is sounds identical to the information provided by the multiple acceptance report but is, in this case, available to schools that have not accepted a student but have waitlisted him/her.

However, I did wonder how this information is used by med schools in handing out acceptances and whether there's a preference for one waitlisted candidate over another (i.e., one that's been accepted elsewhere vs. one that has not). Theoretically, a school can hand out acceptances only to waitlistees who have been accepted elsewhere (and not hand out any acceptances to waitlistees who have not been accepted elsewhere) and have all of those candidates attend their school. This is obviously very improbable statistically, but it could be that waitlistees who have multiple acceptances are generally more competitive and would be extended offers before those without any offers at all. Point being that acceptances do not have to be extended to any great number of waitlistees without any offers anywhere. I'd imagine, though, that in the end, acceptance status has very little influence on acceptance offers to waitlisted candidates.

For your first point, if they do not even know then we shouldn't even be having this discussion because you brought up the question of what decisions schools make when they do know where the waitlisted candidate has been accepted (also, if the waitlistee has, in fact, NOT been accepted anywhere, then they would know that info as well). Second, medical schools know their own competitiveness. And no, it isn't statistically likely that all applicants accepted off the waitlist with multiple acceptances will decide to attend, unless it's top 20. If an in-state school were to give it's ten spots to students on the waitlist that were accepted somewhere else, then there is a 50% chance that each student would join. Which is less than 1% chance that all of then would end up accepting the offer.

The ULTIMATE point I was trying to make was that you were asking what happens when a school decides who to accept off the waitlist when given the information of who has and who hasn't been accepted elsewhere. By the mere fact that you are asking this question implies that it's a low or mid tier school (for example, Harvard med school doesn't have to wonder if you will attend or not). I was therefore telling you that whether that even if the school does decide to give the acceptances to the students that have other acceptances, those students might just decline and the seats will go to those that didn't have an acceptance anyway.

For your first point, if they do not even know then we shouldn't even be having this discussion because you brought up the question of what decisions schools make when they do know where the waitlisted candidate has been accepted (also, if the waitlistee has, in fact, NOT been accepted anywhere, then they would know that info as well). Second, medical schools know their own competitiveness. And no, it isn't statistically likely that all applicants accepted off the waitlist with multiple acceptances will decide to attend, unless it's top 20. If an in-state school were to give it's ten spots to students on the waitlist that were accepted somewhere else, then there is a 50% chance that each student would join. Which is less than 1% chance that all of then would end up accepting the offer.

The ULTIMATE point I was trying to make was that you were asking what happens when a school decides who to accept off the waitlist when given the information of who has and who hasn't been accepted elsewhere. By the mere fact that you are asking this question implies that it's a low or mid tier school (for example, Harvard med school doesn't have to wonder if you will attend or not). I was therefore telling you that whether that even if the school does decide to give the acceptances to the students that have other acceptances, those students might just decline and the seats will go to those that didn't have an acceptance anyway.

Yes, my first point was more an observation than an argument; there's nothing really more than that.

Regarding your response to my question, I don't think the fact that a school is a top 20 or not will necessarily, in itself, have that much to do with how the school views waitlisted candidates with or without multiple acceptances. Although, your reasoning is logical and very likely the case in many instances, I don't think that in and of itself makes it necessarily true. For example, candidates who are accepted to HMS are probably also competitive for many other top 20 institution. Admittedly, HMS is probably the exception, since their yield is so high. I agree though, I think it's probably the case in many instances that if a candidate accepted to mid or low tier schools and then is offered a seat at a top tier school, s/he will attend the top tier school. However, if the candidate is accepted to top tier schools and then is offered a seat at another top tier school, what will happen then?

Then I should probably clarify my question further.. how does a school view waitlisted candidates who either have or have not been accepted to multiple comparatively ranked med schools ("multiple" being 2, 3, 4, ...)? They would need to extend a lot more offers to the group with multiple accepts compared to those without any. Do they really take yield into account or would they make these decisions independent of multiple acceptance status? A hypothetical waitlisted candidate with 10 acceptances at other schools will very likely not attend the school that admits them off the waitlist, assuming cost, school ranking, location, etc. are not factors. It would just hold up the acceptance process.

Yes, my first point was more an observation than an argument; there's nothing really more than that.

Regarding your response to my question, I don't think the fact that a school is a top 20 or not will necessarily, in itself, have that much to do with how the school views waitlisted candidates with or without multiple acceptances. Although, your reasoning is logical and very likely the case in many instances, I don't think that in and of itself makes it necessarily true. For example, candidates who are accepted to HMS are probably also competitive for many other top 20 institution. Admittedly, HMS is probably the exception, since their yield is so high. I agree though, I think it's probably the case in many instances that if a candidate accepted to mid or low tier schools and then is offered a seat at a top tier school, s/he will attend the top tier school. However, if the candidate is accepted to top tier schools and then is offered a seat at another top tier school, what will happen then?

Then I should probably clarify my question further.. how does a school view waitlisted candidates who either have or have not been accepted to multiple comparatively ranked med schools ("multiple" being 2, 3, 4, ...)? They would need to extend a lot more offers to the group with multiple accepts compared to those without any. Do they really take yield into account or would they make these decisions independent of multiple acceptance status? A hypothetical waitlisted candidate with 10 acceptances at other schools will very likely not attend the school that admits them off the waitlist, assuming cost, school ranking, location, etc. are not factors. It would just hold up the acceptance process.

One would assume that if you had a top 10 school make you an offer, and were waitlisted at another top 10, you would accept the offer and withdraw your application from the school that waitlisted you and move on with your life. IF you remain on a waitlist, that should be a signal that you prefer the school that waitlisted you over the school that admitted you. However, some lazy people don't withdraw their applications to schools they do not prefer over the school they plan to attend. THAT slows down the process.

Reactions: 4 users
One would assume that if you had a top 10 school make you an offer, and were waitlisted at another top 10, you would accept the offer and withdraw your application from the school that waitlisted you and move on with your life. IF you remain on a waitlist, that should be a signal that you prefer the school that waitlisted you over the school that admitted you. However, some lazy people don't withdraw their applications to schools they do not prefer over the school they plan to attend. THAT slows down the process.
One thing that may incentivize this behavior is financial aid. Maybe this person is wondering if that other, waitlisting school will give them a bit more money when it comes down to it, and they won't have to commit to so much debt for similar opportunities and resources.

Do waitlisters ever receive preliminary (contingent) financial aid packages? That seems like it might help speed things along.

One thing that may incentivize this behavior is financial aid. Maybe this person is wondering if that other, waitlisting school will give them a bit more money when it comes down to it, and they won't have to commit to so much debt for similar opportunities and resources.

Do waitlisters ever receive preliminary (contingent) financial aid packages? That seems like it might help speed things along.
The odds of waitlisters getting recruitment $ are much lower than direct admits but the tuition at a state school is still a significant consideration.

Reactions: 3 users
The odds of waitlisters getting recruitment $ are much lower than direct admits but the tuition at a state school is still a significant consideration.
It is also becoming clear to me that each school differs in how they handle need-based aid. Independent status age, EFC calculation, what counts as an asset, unit loan amount - all these things can differ enough to make a real difference, too. Or, it's possible they could.

It is also becoming clear to me that each school differs in how they handle need-based aid. Independent status age, EFC calculation, what counts as an asset, unit loan amount - all these things can differ enough to make a real difference, too. Or, it's possible they could.
Need-based aid is much less common in medical school...

Need-based aid is much less common in medical school...

Honestly, this is pretty problematic. Not just because medical school is incredibly expensive, but because one of the best ways to increase diversity in medicine is to make it accessible to people whose families don't make $150k+ per year.

Honestly, this is pretty problematic. Not just because medical school is incredibly expensive, but because one of the best ways to increase diversity in medicine is to make it accessible to people whose families don't make $150k+ per year.
Yes, I know.

And the schools that do have good need-based aid are pretty much in the "top 20" and private - but getting into one of those schools has a socioeconomic bias to start with!

It's exceedingly difficult to have interesting, stand-out ECs, make top grades, and pwn the MCAT if you have to work full-time to put yourself through school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

@gyngyn: what are the chances of schools providing recruitment scholarships, upon request, when you have multiple accepts but no money offered anywhere? Do schools "take offence" to people who ask, or is this okay to broach the topic with admissions?

@gyngyn: what are the chances of schools providing recruitment scholarships, upon request, when you have multiple accepts but no money offered anywhere? Do schools "take offence" to people who ask, or is this okay to broach the topic with admissions?
We're used to it. And the answer will vary by the school, the candidate, the endowment, where you are holding other acceptances and how far into the cycle it is (and a few more things)