Can medical schools see where you have been accepted or rejected before they make their decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're used to it. And the answer will vary by the school, the candidate, the endowment, where you are holding other acceptances and how far into the cycle it is (and a few more things)

So true... if a school needs a dozen applicants to turn down the offer of admission for the class to reach its desired size, no one is getting any incentive money to accept the offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So true... if a school needs a dozen applicants to turn down the offer of admission for the class to reach its desired size, no one is getting any incentive money to accept the offer.
Right now we're hoping for withdrawals!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the people who interviewed you have any input re waitlist movement?

Thanks.

Haha, such a silly system. So deans try to maximize yield while simultaneously hoping for a low yield.
They are hoping that their algorithm results in the desired outcome. This includes correct prediction of the number that will withdraw. A better "yield" pales in comparison to a miscalculation on the number needed to fill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Do the people who interviewed you have any input re waitlist movement?

Thanks.
The enthusiasm with which they endorsed the candidate in committee can affect the stratum into which he sorts.
I do not recommend lobbying them. That is creepy.

The enthusiasm with which they endorsed the candidate in committee can affect the stratum into which he sorts.
I do not recommend lobbying them. That is creepy.

Check re creepy.

Thanks.

We have to wait until March 15th.
Is the date of action taken ever included in the Multiple Acceptance Report or National Acceptance Report? Curious if WLing school can figure out WHEN someone was accepted to the other school or not.

Is the date of action taken ever included in the Multiple Acceptance Report or National Acceptance Report? Curious if WLing school can figure out WHEN someone was accepted to the other school or not.
The date of acceptance is not included on the report we see on March 15th.
Subsequent acceptances will appear as they occur.
They will disappear as they are declined.

@gyngyn
Going off the same topic of holding multiple acceptances and using these acceptances to try and leverage a scholarship at a specific school - I need some advice. I have interviewed at quite a few places and there were two schools which I would not consider going to (you can say they were kind of my safety options for out of state). I have received an acceptance from one of those schools and I already hold an acceptance at another school I would enjoy going to. So my question is should I go ahead and accept the offer at the school I would not consider going to in order to have some possibility of obtaining a scholarship at another school? Or should I just reject it from the start since it may not have an affect on obtaining a scholarship at another school (and to give other applicants a chance)? Thank you.

@gyngyn
Going off the same topic of holding multiple acceptances and using these acceptances to try and leverage a scholarship at a specific school - I need some advice. I have interviewed at quite a few places and there were two schools which I would not consider going to (you can say they were kind of my safety options for out of state). I have received an acceptance from one of those schools and I already hold an acceptance at another school I would enjoy going to. So my question is should I go ahead and accept the offer at the school I would not consider going to in order to have some possibility of obtaining a scholarship at another school? Or should I just reject it from the start since it may not have an affect on obtaining a scholarship at another school (and to give other applicants a chance)? Thank you.

Very easy answer: reject. It wouldn't make sense for you to accept it if you don't see yourself going there. Med Schools generally don't try to "one-up" each other. You would be doing yourself a major disservice. Stick to the one you would enjoy going to.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile