Can medical scribes take month long breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainbowPutin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming a medical scribe this upcoming spring, but I'll have to be gone for 4 weeks due to another prior commitment. Do scribe companies allow month-long absences, or is it something that will make me unhireable?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the company, I think. Where I work, we're not allowed to take more than 2 consecutive pay periods off or its considered a leave of absence, which apparently is not allowed

I was able to take an entire month off by asking my recruiter for it before being hired. Otherwise, it would be difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a chief scribe for Scribe America and I have allowed one of my scribes to take a month long break to pursue a service opportunity before. Talk to your chief to see if he/she will let you, every company and site is different.

I'm interested in becoming a medical scribe this upcoming spring, but I'll have to be gone for 4 weeks due to another prior commitment. Do scribe companies allow month-long absences, or is it something that will make me unhireable?
I work as a medical scribe and need to take 4 weeks off for an externship with a phlebotomy certification at the end. My company allowed me to take off the 4 weeks as long as I was able to come in one day for training during the week. It depends on who hires you. Make sure to ask them if you need to take it. You will never know unless you ask.

Don't mean to derail the thread but do scribes make decent money? I'm currently an MA at a large practice making $14 an hour but am getting sort of burnt out. Being a scribe sounds like really great experience I just don't want to pursue it if I can't make the same.

No, scribes honestly dont make much for what they do. When I worked for ScribeAmerica, I initially made $7.50 after 3 months. After 3 months, they bump you up to $10. I would stick to your MA position if I were you.

For what it's worth, I took 3 weeks off both this year and last year to visit my girlfriend who is from another country. I would argue though that the company owed it to me for how hard I've worked for them..

They probably just won't get you started until after the vacation.
No, scribes honestly dont make much for what they do. When I worked for ScribeAmerica, I initially made $7.50 after 3 months. After 3 months, they bump you up to $10. I would stick to your MA position if I were you.
Damn son. I started at 10 with Scribeamerica and got bumped to 12 in like 2 weeks.
And I thought I was making crap pay

Is there anyway I can get my certification without working for the company or employed by a hospital? The doctor I work for now wants to incorporate scribes into outpatient clinic because we have a large practice and see tons of patients.

Is there anyway I can get my certification without working for the company or employed by a hospital? The doctor I work for now wants to incorporate scribes into outpatient clinic because we have a large practice and see tons of patients.

Honestly, I have no idea. Before I started working as a Scribe, I sent the hiring manager three screenshots of my score taking www.10fastfingers.com. Then I did a 2 week course of the ScribeAmerica online classroom training . I dont know any other way to get the certification. However, there may be other ways given that there are other scribe companies.