Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can non-science major score 30+ on MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by WonderBoy, Apr 24, 2002.

1. WonderBoy

WonderBoy Physician 10+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Midwest
    Hi guys,
    Well I have been hearing a lot lately, that you need to take more than premed courses to do well on the MCAT. I am an economics major and have finished all my premed courses and have taken a semester of biochem. I just wanted to know how other non-science majors are approaching studying for the MCATs? And if there are any success stories about non-science people getting higher than a 30? Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Barton

Barton Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm a history major. When I took the MCAT, I had only take gen bio, gen chem, organic, and physics. I scored 11,12,p,12 (35p). Just get to know the test, know your facts cold, and relax on test day.

4. boo_yah

boo_yah Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm a philosophy major. I took the MCAT last Saturday, and I'm hoping to score like Barton. The MCAT tests BASIC science knowledge, and critical thinking skills. Biochem will help you, but if anything you are over-prepared for the MCAT.

5. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2001
    MI
    why wouldn't a non-science major be able to?

6. Street Philosopher

Street Philosopher freebird 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2000
    ann arbor
    yeah philosophy majors in da hizzouse

7. WonderBoy

WonderBoy Physician 10+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Midwest
    thanks for the response guys.

jofrbr76: I am not saying that non-science majors can't get 30+. I just wanted to hear about the experiences of other nonscience majors who took the mcat and are going to take the MCAT.

8. Asclepius

Asclepius 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2002
    I majored in Religion, Philosophy, and Greek. Of the science classes, I have taken only the prerequisites, but have managed to get 30 or better on my AAMC practice tests...we'll see in June if the trend help up when it counted.
    A few years ago I saw a list of "most successful majors on standardized tests"...math majors were tops in GRE, LSAT, and MCAT, with philosophy majors coming in close second...

9. leorl

leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Chaire, Asclepius! kai didomi charin!

10. xanthines

xanthines decaying organic matter Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2002
    I got a 30 with minimal studying several years ago and I majored in History and Music. I'm hoping I improved that on Saturday.

-X

11. Asclepius

Asclepius 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2002
    loerl,

didomi alektruona...
    I'll need a rooster.