Can non-science major score 30+ on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Well I have been hearing a lot lately, that you need to take more than premed courses to do well on the MCAT. I am an economics major and have finished all my premed courses and have taken a semester of biochem. I just wanted to know how other non-science majors are approaching studying for the MCATs? And if there are any success stories about non-science people getting higher than a 30? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a history major. When I took the MCAT, I had only take gen bio, gen chem, organic, and physics. I scored 11,12,p,12 (35p). Just get to know the test, know your facts cold, and relax on test day.

I'm a philosophy major. I took the MCAT last Saturday, and I'm hoping to score like Barton. The MCAT tests BASIC science knowledge, and critical thinking skills. Biochem will help you, but if anything you are over-prepared for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response guys.

jofrbr76: I am not saying that non-science majors can't get 30+. I just wanted to hear about the experiences of other nonscience majors who took the mcat and are going to take the MCAT.

I majored in Religion, Philosophy, and Greek. Of the science classes, I have taken only the prerequisites, but have managed to get 30 or better on my AAMC practice tests...we'll see in June if the trend help up when it counted.
A few years ago I saw a list of "most successful majors on standardized tests"...math majors were tops in GRE, LSAT, and MCAT, with philosophy majors coming in close second...