Can OMFS perform facial transplant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dentalist said:
Can OMFS perform facial transplant?

Someone has been watching Nip Tuck :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Periogod said:
Someone has been watching Nip Tuck :laugh:
No kidding...I thought that episode was stupid.

As for whether or not OMFS can perform a facial transplant, did you notice in the article that this was the first procedure of its kind to be performed? It seems that no one else has done what they did. If there was some ballsy OMFS guy out there that wanted to attempt it, then I'm sure that he would be qualified to do so. Any surgeon, OMFS, ENT, Plastic/Recon, would be breaking new ground in performing this procedure. That was a strange question...I hope I answered it...

Fisrt ever-ever transplant was in India in 1994! :mad:

I don't understand why today on CNN they said France is doing the FIRST face transplant? :mad:

This little girl in India had not only her face transplanted, but her scalp as well. They are doing this in USA already, so what's up with that?

No big deal. It doesn't make any difference. My heart goes out to all burned victims, and I'm happy that this choice is there for them.

I saw on Discovery this Venezuelan (I'm too :) ) beautiful girl that was burned badly. When the paramedics got to her car they said that her screaming was horrible. They couldn't get to her and they were wishing that she goes soon....then it got quiet and when they went to get what they thought was a dead body, turned out to be a still alive person.

I'm all for organ donation...

Here's the article:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/16/INGR2F83O51.DTL&type=health

Yep, I admit that I did not phrase the question right. :)

I just thought this was somewhat bizarre procedure and wanted to know whether the future OMFS would be suited to perform these types of procedures.

Dentalist said:

I just thought this was somewhat bizarre procedure and wanted to know whether the future OMFS would be suited to perform these types of procedures.

Yes, It is within the scope of OMFS. But no one would actually attempt this besides maybe a microvascular fellowship trained oms guy at a teaching hospital.

Dentalist said:

I'd really like to so something like this :)

Dental Mom said:

I don't understand why today on CNN they said France is doing the FIRST face transplant? :mad:

the little girl in india just had her OWN face reattached--therefore it doesn't really count as a "transplant." since it was her own tissue, the probability of it not taking is much lowered. the whole reason why the transplant issue is so complicated is the risk of graft rejection--and if it is rejected then they'd be in even deeper **** because they would probably lose even more tissue.

vandy_yankee said:
the little girl in india just had her OWN face reattached--therefore it doesn't really count as a "transplant." since it was her own tissue, the probability of it not taking is much lowered. the whole reason why the transplant issue is so complicated is the risk of graft rejection--and if it is rejected then they'd be in even deeper **** because they would probably lose even more tissue.
Well in that case I do ear, cheek, nose, and scalp transplants several times a week in the ER. I didn't know we could count it if it came off the same person!

Dental Mom said:

This little girl in India had not only her face transplanted, but her scalp as well. They are doing this in USA already, so what's up with that?

No big deal. It doesn't make any difference. My heart goes out to all burned victims, and I'm happy that this choice is there for them.

I saw on Discovery this Venezuelan (I'm too :) ) beautiful girl that was burned badly. When the paramedics got to her car they said that her screaming was horrible. They couldn't get to her and they were wishing that she goes soon....then it got quiet and when they went to get what they thought was a dead body, turned out to be a still alive person.

I'm all for organ donation...

Here's the article:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/16/INGR2F83O51.DTL&type=health

Hehe.......appears I am a Discovery freak like you. I saw the brefore/after pix of that Venezuelan girl. She was pretty hot.......before she got her face burned off that is.

Also, with that Indian girl, didnt her hair get caught in something and her face/scalp tore off? That's not a transplant. That's just re-attaching her skin.

OzDDS said:
Yes, It is within the scope of OMFS. But no one would actually attempt this besides maybe a microvascular fellowship trained oms guy at a teaching hospital.

Right on! Not exactly what anybody would call a "routine procedure."

In terms of high impact though - the surgery must make a huge difference in the person's self image. Thats gotta be awesome.