Can one apply to an MD school after being a student at a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arte9699

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't want to offend anyone with this post or cause someone to become angry, it is simply a question that I have and would like an answer to. I am a student at an Osteopathic school, and although I like it, I don't think I love it. I respect Osteopathy, but sometimes I feel it was not the right path for me. So I am wondering if it is possible to apply to an MD school after being a med student at an Osteopathic school, and how one can go about doing that?
Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I think some allopathic schools accept transfers from DO schools. It's mentioned somewhere on SDN. I heard that they make you repeat your first year though. So, you will matriculate with a new class. It's doable, but you need to know which schools do this. Good luck.

MD schools very rarely allow transfers, even among themselves. In general, med schools don't look kindly on quitters and people who change their minds.

BTW, med school is a pain in the ass. Nobody loves med school. Grow a pair and work harder.

Wait, why am I talking to a troll? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure transfers are done for personal/non-academic reasons, such as having to care for a loved one. Even then I'd think its pretty hard. From experience, med schools really don't like people who try to play games with the system