Can one become competitive for radiology if also married?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyLiveOnce

Pursuer of Happiness
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Were any radiology residents here married during any part of med school? If so, how did you manage? If not, then just based on your experience regarding how tough it is to be competitive for radiology, do you think it is possible to achieve the top-notch credentials you need for radiology while also trying to keep a wife happy?

I know this is a common question regarding medical school in general, but I want to know specifically about radiologists.

Y'all's insight is GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It is certainly possible to juggle both provided 1) you can work efficiently and 2) you have a supportive and understanding spouse.

Hey guys,

Were any radiology residents here married during any part of med school? If so, how did you manage? If not, then just based on your experience regarding how tough it is to be competitive for radiology, do you think it is possible to achieve the top-notch credentials you need for radiology while also trying to keep a wife happy?

I know this is a common question regarding medical school in general, but I want to know specifically about radiologists.

Probably what it will mean is, when ur not studying then ur time is spent with ur family. You won't have time for parties and going out with buddies for the most part unless u dont care about doing well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

of course it is possible. harder if you plan to have kids, but far from impossible. Things that make it easier: 1) understanding wife, 2) no kids 3) wife has her own career or own schooling.

if you are asking this question, you are not ready to get married.

if you are asking this question, you are not ready to get married.

I think it points more to the fact that I just don't know what it's like to be a married man and also to the fact that, until this fall, I don't know what it's like to be a med student. If I at least had an idea of one, I could make a wager with the other.

Just for laughs, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I was married for all of med school, and had no problem staying competitive for radiology. My two children didn't slow me down, either.

Now, the trick is having an awesome wife. If she is understanding of your position, and you keep your priorities straight, everything will fall into place.

If you are planning on getting married soon, make sure she knows it will be 9+ years before you are bringing home the bacon. That should scare off the weak ones.:laugh:

Just for laughs, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I was married for all of med school, and had no problem staying competitive for radiology. My two children didn't slow me down, either.

Now, the trick is having an awesome wife. If she is understanding of your position, and you keep your priorities straight, everything will fall into place.

If you are planning on getting married soon, make sure she knows it will be 9+ years before you are bringing home the bacon. That should scare off the weak ones.:laugh:

Oh yeah, we're perfectly clear that she won't really start getting a good amount of time (or money) until I hit my 30's. She herself has ambitions of becoming a lawyer so that should keep her busy for a few years as well as help start bringing in some money by the time I hit residency.

Your story is encouraging. How did you manage to keep a wife and kids happy while still kicking butt in med school well enough to get into radiology?

Sorry, I never met a married radiologist... oh well...

LOL... these SDN questions get funnier and funnier everyday.

Yeah, in fact I was cracking up as I typed in the question. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, we're perfectly clear that she won't really start getting a good amount of time (or money) until I hit my 30's. She herself has ambitions of becoming a lawyer so that should keep her busy for a few years as well as help start bringing in some money by the time I hit residency.

Your story is encouraging. How did you manage to keep a wife and kids happy while still kicking butt in med school well enough to get into radiology?

Dude, dont worry so much. You'll have no problem doing well in med school if you have ur priorities straight even with a wife and/or kids. As long as they understand what's going on. Sure, there will be fights, but then there will be good times as well.
If this is ur thinking then no trauma or transplant surgeons would be married. EVER. They know what needs to be done. You wont be golfing much or slamming beers with buddies.

In my case, having a wife in med school has helped. She does most of the grocery shopping, laundry, dishes, cooking, etc. I help out, and there are specific chores that I have to do, but things are probably split 40/60 or 30/70. It is also nice to be able to "get away from med school". Not only do I have a life-long companion, but I don't have to always be focused on med school or talking about medicine. Some times, it is healthy and beneficial to have breaks. I would say the positives out weigh the negatives (if you find the right woman). The right relationship can bring balance to your life.

I have had a few friends who's significant others decided to dump them, divorce them, etc right before a huge exam. As your stress goes up, the relationship will suffer if it isn't strong to begin with. I would say that med school will either bring you together or tear you apart, from my experience.

Dude...if I have to tell you how to make your wife happy, you must not be doing it right.:D

To start, we had some serious discussions prior to med school, and again before trying for rads. We agreed that my priority was med school, and learning as much as possible. Her job was pretty much everything else. Not all spouses will agree to this, or stick to it for 4 years. But the team effort worked well for us, and I know that without her, rads wouldn't have been a possibility.

We started med school with a one year old, and the second was born one week before 3rd year started. So to my kids, this crazy life is actually normal. During school, I would come home in the afternoon, and spend some time with them. Dinner together was huge for us (and still is when I'm not on call).

The amount of studying required in med school (and beyond) sucks, but you can still have a real life. I only get to play golf about five times a year, and I can't make all of my football and softball games. A beer with the guys is still important, as well as my PS3 time. And for my wife, I make sure she gets her down time as well (mainly at the spa).

So keep your priorities straight... you'll do great, and time will fly.