Can one of you beautiful souls help me with my MD list please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdr8360

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AA male
Double major: Biology/Chemistry
Texas Resident
cga: 2.98 sgpa: 3.01 postbacc: 3.5 (one year 48 credits)
MCAT- 21 (first try) 506 (This June)
5 years research
4 publications in Plastic Surgery from UT Houston Medical School
10 years direct patient care
Strong compelling PS (adcoms I know from connections read it for me)
Strong letters (1 from adcom)
Boat loads of leadership, community service, shadowing, ect

I applied DO but have been getting multiple emails from MD schools encouraging me to apply with my mcat. Not sure if this is a money scam via secondary but Ill bite.

Schools:
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
George Washington University
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth

Is this a good list with my stats and what other schools should I add? Thanks, love you guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

AA male
Double major: Biology/Chemistry
Texas Resident
cga: 2.98 sgpa: 3.01 postbacc: 3.5 (one year 48 credits)
MCAT- 21 (first try) 506 (This June)
5 years research
4 publications in Plastic Surgery from UT Houston Medical School
10 years direct patient care
Strong compelling PS (adcoms I know from connections read it for me)
Strong letters (1 from adcom)
Boat loads of leadership, community service, shadowing, ect

I applied DO but have been getting multiple emails from MD schools encouraging me to apply with my mcat. Not sure if this is a money scam via secondary but Ill bite.

Schools:
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
George Washington University
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth

Is this a good list with my stats and what other schools should I add? Thanks, love you guys!!

Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add Cooper in New Jersey. They're very community service based and value it highly.

You could add Cooper in New Jersey. They're very community service based and value it highly.
Are they oos friendly? If so, I will surely add them as well since my entire app revolves about serving underserved communities.

What do I do with this link? Are you telling me to post my thread here? Search through the WAMC threads for something?

It's where MD applicants go for advice on competitiveness, school list, etc. You should ask a moderator to move your thread there, or simply create another one.

It's where MD applicants go for advice on competitiveness, school list, etc. You should ask a moderator to move your thread there, or simply create another one.
OK Thanks.

Are they oos friendly? If so, I will surely add them as well since my entire app revolves about serving underserved communities.

I don't know exact numbers, however I think that while they do favor in state it's not as bad as some schools. No worse than some of the others on your list.

I don't know exact numbers, however I think that while they do favor in state it's not as bad as some schools. No worse than some of the others on your list.
OK thanks. I expecting 95% rejections so I dont want to waste more money than I already am lol

What do I do with this link? Are you telling me to post my thread here? Search through the WAMC threads for something?
OK Thanks.

On the top of pre-medical allopathic forums, you see a section called Sticky Threads. One of those threads is titled:

Please post What Are My Chances threads in the What Are My Chances forum

From what I've heard the class is ~30% OOS. I know a good number of people in my class who are OOS

From what I've heard the class is ~30% OOS. I know a good number of people in my class who are OOS
Where these oos students all 3.7+ 508+ students? Im not sure how to interpret the 30% lol Is that considered a fair chance for oos?

Where these oos students all 3.7+ 508+ students? Im not sure how to interpret the 30% lol Is that considered a fair chance for oos?
Stats aren't a very huge deal at Cooper, it's more about fit. I think if you look at the mission and think you'd be a good fit, you have a good shot

You have very excellent ECs. Even though you are a URM, that gpa is still a tad too low but the MCAT is good enough. I say you have good chances landing a DO acceptance but MD will be tough (though not impossible). You must apply to all Texas MD & DO schools first and foremost. The Texas schools & the historic black medical schools will be your best shot for MD. Take out Missouri and Iowa (both state schools). Cooper would not be worth adding considering you're from texas and the OOS they would prefer have higher stats and some close geographical proximity to NJ. I think your DO list coupled with all TX schools & historic black colleges should be good enough. GWU, NYMC, Rosalind, & VCU are fine additions but low yield since they get flooded with apps.

You have very excellent ECs. Even though you are a URM, that gpa is still a tad too low but the MCAT is good enough. I say you have good chances landing a DO acceptance but MD will be tough (though not impossible). You must apply to all Texas MD & DO schools first and foremost. The Texas schools & the historic black medical schools will be your best shot for MD. Take out Missouri and Iowa (both state schools). Cooper would not be worth adding considering you're from texas and the OOS they would prefer have higher stats and some close geographical proximity to NJ. I think your DO list coupled with all TX schools & historic black colleges should be good enough. GWU, NYMC, Rosalind, & VCU are fine additions but low yield since they get flooded with apps.
Thanks for the reply, I definitely applied to the Texas schools early and I'm submitting my Texas Tech secondary tonight. Have submitted utsw and others two weeks ago. My personal statement is very strong and I hope that gives me just the edge Ill need. These DO applications are killing me (had to take out a personal loan to fund my application cycle) so I hope to get a solid acceptance soon so I can drop some school secondaries and interviews Im not totally sold on.