Can one work during 1st year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roughgod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether I can hold a part-time (6 hours/week) job while in my first year? Is it doable? is it practical? is it a smart move or am I simply out of my mind? All 2nd/3rd and 4th years Please share your inputs.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can pull a few hours a week without hurting your grades. Just realize that since time is so precious, you will probably not be able to hang out with your friends as much as you might wish to do. But working is OK--in fact, it may even help you to keep from getting overwhelmed by medical school.

I was advice to sit it out the first half at least or the first year.... I hope it works out for you....

Members don't see this ad :)
I would strongly advice against working during Medical School. In my opinion, no matter what background you have come from (recent college grad, worked for a few yrs and are going back to school, family, no fmaily) you are going to be shocked when school actually gets moving. They hit the ground in full run.

I could not have possibly worked and kept up grades. It also comes down to this, will the money you'll earn by working 6 hrs/wk even be worth the sacrifices you'll have to make in your very limited time anyway? like I said, I chose not to work and I spent the time when I was not studying with friends and family.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck to you as you get started in school.

Yes, if you are masterful at juggling your obligations and willing to accept somewhat lower grades than you could if you had not worked.

However, let me pose a question to you -- Why do you wish to work?

:confused:

Well, I'm thinking of working to cover some of the cost of living while in school. I am having trouble with taking some private loans out. The job offer I've got sounds actually really good.....it pays me $43/Hr. before taxes. I realize the complications associated with having a job and med-school, and that's why I am contemplating on it.

I know that when I interviewed, I asked about the possibility of working some while going to school. Without an exception, every interviewer from professors to medical students advised against it especially during the first year. I hope that your financial aid situation works out, because I'll bet you would rather have a little time to hang with your buds when not studying!

Roughgod,
I had a good job before med school (although not as good as $43/hour!) and they gave me the option to drop in and work whenever I wanted. I took advantage of that during winter break. When I went back to school for 2nd semester, I got spanked, I almost didn't make it. I really wasn't ready to go back, and I was still burnt out from the first semester.
My advice is... I wouldn't take the chance of working during school b/c your time is too valuable, especially that first semester. They make it hard on you to make sure you're cut out for it. So if you can, try not to work unless you're really financially strapped.

-Eric
MSII - COMP

I have to say, I've entertained the idea of working after the first half, but after hearing these stories I'm really NOT going to be even thinking about working anymore.... Thanks everyone....