Can one work in a pharmacy (or become a pharmacist) if allergic to some drugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I was wondering if any pharm techs, staff, or even pharmacists have any allergies to drug medications? How do they handle or dispense the product? Like if a pharmacist or pharm tech was allergic to penicillin powder, would they be removed from work for having a "work disability" ? Or would they just avoid it and have someone else do it altogether (What if there's nobody)? Hmm...

I guess especially for pharmacy school where they're exposed to everything, heh.

Members don't see this ad.

Gloves and a mask would work.

It's fine. I worked with a tech that was allergic to a lot of the drugs in the pharmacy - she basically had the pharmacist or another tech fill the prescription but I guess if she wanted to, she could wear gloves and a mask

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of techs out there who have drug allergies. I know one in particular who is extremely allergic to sulfa drugs and just has another tech count pills when necessary.

Of course you can, just don't touch whatever you are allergic to. I'm allergic to naproxen but I still count it occasionally.

I guess it also depend on what symptoms you may have when your are exposed to it... chances are when you are a tech/intern you will be exposed to many different drugs.

I myself am allergic to amoxicillin... which means I am allergic to any penicillin family drug... but I don't get any extreme reactions to it... only an ich... maybe a small rash after prolong exposure. Everyone's different... and yes I'll probably be wearing gloves...

The good thing about once you become a pharmacist... you have the techs doing the counting and you double checking with gloves or whatever you want... which doesn't of course devoid you of responsibilities... but thats a whole new discussion

:smuggrin:

I got an allergy to amoxicillin when I turned 21 (had taken the stuff for years!) I can still count them out, but I won't mix the liquid. The powder has a tendency to "puff" out of the bottle, and it itches me to death and gives me an asthma type reaction. If I was in a situation where I had to do it by myself, I would just wear a mask, gloves, and hold it away from me as I started the pour.

I'm not allergic to any drugs but i was counting a certain drug out once (cant remember what it was) then the auxiliary label printed out and said "wash hands immediately after handling" I looked at the pharmacist like :eek: and he just laughed at me. Good times...

yea... some drugs may be powdery or something... you don't want to transfer any particles of say a sulfa-drug to another drug you were handling and then give that drug with the sulfa-drug particles to a patient who is potentially allergic...

I hate powdery drugs... they are so icky... :laugh:

Is that the one that is bad for you if you're a male....

Female. The funny thing about it is, on the Propecia label it says that pregnant women shouldn't handle the drug, and make it sound ALL HORRIBLE. But, if you look at the Proscar labeling or generic finasteride labeling it mentions no such thing, and it's a higher milligram. :confused: That bothers me!

And to the OP. There are plenty of people that work in the field that are allergic to the medications. But, my mother is severely penicillin anaphylatic. If she's even near penicillin or a derivative she goes into anaphylatic shock. For her, I would recommend NOT working in a pharmacy.

Probaly a chemotherapy drug, the only one I can think of is procarbazine.

Oh really? Procarbazine? How do male pharmacists/students/techs handle this drug usually? Hmm...or do they avoid it/ask others? :eek:

Oh really? Procarbazine? How do male pharmacists/students/techs handle this drug usually? Hmm...or do they avoid it/ask others? :eek:

I did a search on this medication and it says to take normal anti-neoplastic medication precautions with it, which is handle only if you have to and wash hands afterwards, which you probably do constantly anyways if you are a technician. Infertility results from ingesting it.