Can osteopathic students take the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question...someone just told me that stuents in osteopathic medical schools can take the USMLE exam instead of the osteopathic board exams. Is that true?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Osteopathic students can take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX.

Many Osteopathic schools require COMLEX I and II in order to graduate.

JP is right... most students take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX. If you're thinking about an allopathic residency program it's worth considering taking the USMLE. In the past allopathic residency programs have wanted USMLE scores for DO students applying to the program. However, that's beginning to change and many allopathic programs are accepting COMPLEX scores as well. It all depends on what you want...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to clarify that from what I know, quite a few DO students will take the COMLEX parts I and II and the first part of the USMLE. I don't think the second part of the USMLE is necessary/required/too useful for DO students.. am I correct in saying this? I'd like for someone who has a little more concrete info on this to share.. thanks! :)

As other posters have said:
1. Yes, you can take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX
2. Many DO schools require certain steps of COMLEX to graduate

however, in addition:

3. In order to practice you have to take the 3 steps of the COMLEX. You cannot practice as a DO without COMLEX (so in answer to the original poster, no you can't take USMLE "instead", just in "addition" if you feel like it).
4. Melancholy: Usually all that is needed is step 1 of USMLE as the match, which is where these numbers are used, is usually before step 2. However, some people delay match interviews/do step 2 early so that they can present those scores to particularly competitive residencies IF they think they are going to shine on step 2. Most people however do not go this far. There is certainly no point taking USMLE step 3 as that is normally taken during internship.
5. Taking these additional exams will also cost money

Ahh.. thanks for clarifying this! :)

The boy wonder is right...I took both exams (1 and 2) and have no intention of taking USMLE step 3. COMLEX is absolutely necessary, so you can't get out of it...besides, I really thought the COMLEX allows for better scores because of the way it is designed.

Keep on rockin

Captain Freedom!