Can other schools see where you're accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rms435

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been threads about this before, but when I did a search I couldn't find the relevant info...

I was wondering with schools having different admissions procedures (rolling and non), if you are accepted to a school that is on a rolling basis, but have your heart set on one that waits til March for decisions, what do you do about that first school? Can I put my deposit in for the first school, just in case, and then withdraw it once (fingers crossed) I hear from the March school? Will the March school see that I have accepted another school's offer and be less likely to accept me because of it?? Totally don't know anything about this process... Thanks for any advice you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

a school can see where you've been accepted AFTER they've accepted you.

i think there is a date (March 15th?) after which any school can see where you've been accepted.

i think there is a date (March 15th?) after which any school can see where you've been accepted.

I thought they can see your final school choice after May 15th, which is the final day you have to accept one acceptance and decline acceptances to all other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So does that mean I can put the deposit down for school #1 without affecting my chances at gaining acceptance at school #2?? There's a 2 week window on accepting school #1's offer so I either have to put the deposit down now or deny it entirely, which I really don't want to do in case I do end up wanting to go there...

Most schools are pretty understanding of how this process works for the applicants. Its unrealistic for them to expect a candidate to hold out until March when nothing is a guarantee with admissions

good luck with your march schools. I am waiting for a few of those as well :)

So does that mean I can put the deposit down for school #1 without affecting my chances at gaining acceptance at school #2?? There's a 2 week window on accepting school #1's offer so I either have to put the deposit down now or deny it entirely, which I really don't want to do in case I do end up wanting to go there...

Yes, you can put the deposit down for school #1 without affecting your chances at the other school.

Once you make a final decision on or before May 15th, you can get your deposit back if you get accepted to the non-rolling school you are interested in.

Great, thanks for the quick replies guys! SigurRos, good luck with your March schools too :)

I could be wrong, but I heard that any school that has accepted you can see where else you've been accepted after March 15th. *shrug*

I could be wrong, but I heard that any school that has accepted you can see where else you've been accepted after March 15th. *shrug*

This is straight from the MSAR:

"May 15 is the deadline for acceptance deposit refunds and for applicants' final decisions about medical schools; after May 15, schools can require applicants to choose the one school that they will attend from among those schools that have offered an acceptance. Under no circumstances should applicants be required to withdraw from other schools' waiting lists as a condition of accepting a medical school place. Ultimately, decisions about where to attend belong to applicants, not schools."

Hope this helps.

I have never seen March 15th as a date that schools can see where you have been accepted, just May 15 and April 15th (for those who have Early Start Programs). I could be wrong though.

Edit: Actually the MSAR also includes this information of March 15 as a recommendation to medical schools:
"Between August 1 and March 15, notify the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services of all admission actions within four weeks of those actions being taken."

Regardless, being accepted one place should not affect acceptances elsewhere.

The AAMC policies are murky, but my reading of them suggests that on May 15th "the books open up" and schools find out about all your other admissions information - in order to protect their class size from people on waiting lists. The AAMC says that they must be notified within 4 weeks of any admissions action taken on an applicant - so they definitely have the data.

Edit: Actually the MSAR also includes this information of March 15 as a recommendation to medical schools:
"Between August 1 and March 15, notify the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services of all admission actions within four weeks of those actions being taken."

Regardless, being accepted one place should not affect acceptances elsewhere.

Yeah, I saw that too. And after March 15th, medical schools have seven days to notify AAMC of all admissions actions taken, so it really just seems to pertain to moving things quicker as they get closer to May 15th.

The AAMC policies are murky, but my reading of them suggests that on May 15th "the books open up" and schools find out about all your other admissions information - in order to protect their class size from people on waiting lists. The AAMC says that they must be notified within 4 weeks of any admissions action taken on an applicant - so they definitely have the data.

I could have sworn I've heard multiple times that any school that has accepted you can see where else you were accepted on March 15th. I figure that certainly helps schools with how they want to give out scholarships as well (I remember reading last year about someone from WI who was accepted to both Univ of Wisc and Pritzker, and who got a scholarship from Pritzker for the exact difference in tuition).

I guess what I'm unclear on is whether that means that all schools you applied to can also see where you were accepted at that time, or if they have to wait until May 15th to see it, or if they never see it unless they accept you. Not that it matters that much, since interviews will be over around then (or at least invites will be).

Yeah, I saw that too. And after March 15th, medical schools have seven days to notify AAMC of all admissions actions taken, so it really just seems to pertain to moving things quicker as they get closer to May 15th.

I could have sworn I've heard multiple times that any school that has accepted you can see where else you were accepted on March 15th. I guess what I'm unclear on is whether that means that all schools you applied to can also see where you were accepted at that time, or if they have to wait until May 15th to see it, or if they never see it unless they accept you. Not that it matters that much, since interviews will be over around then (or at least invites will be).

I've heard this too. I think I heard it at one of my interviews.