Can Pathologists prescribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorJ24

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a stupid question to some of you, but are AP/CP pathologists able to prescribe? I imagine this would require an intern year, but I wasn't absolutely positive. Also, what opportunities are there (if any) for patient contact in surgical pathology and dermatopathology?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, a pathologist can prescribe just like any other doctor.

Not much patient contact with dermapath unless you are a dermatologist that is also derm path certified.

Surg path does not have much patient contact either.

Cytopath has lots of patient contact for fine needle aspirations. But, in a consultant role not as a primary care giver.

Apheresis which is part of clinical path has some long term patient contact and short term consultant contact.

Heme path has consultant contact for bone marrow aspirations, though most are done by heme onc docs. (Except at my program we do almost all of them in the hospital)

But does it take an intern year?

No. But, why the big interest in prescribing? Pathologists don't have long term patients they would prescribe too. And, the ones we do see are in a consultant role any medications will be given by the primary care doctor.