Can people who never marry be happy?

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for a lot of people, especially South Asians, marriage is considered a natural rite of passage. I actually know a lot of South Asians go back home for 2 weeks just to get married,e ven though they barely know their spouse.

Anyway getting back on topic, do you any of you think that marriage is necessary for a full life? I know many of you will say you can be in a relationship and not be married but I think without marriage many people might think you're not meant to be together if you've just been dating for years and years.

Do any of you think one can be happy and never marry? Or should everyone eventually get married?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know for a lot of people, especially South Asians, marriage is considered a natural rite of passage. I actually know a lot of South Asians go back home for 2 weeks just to get married,e ven though they barely know their spouse.

Anyway getting back on topic, do you any of you think that marriage is necessary for a full life? I know many of you will say you can be in a relationship and not be married but I think without marriage many people might think you're not meant to be together if you've just been dating for years and years.

Do any of you think one can be happy and never marry? Or should everyone eventually get married?

Meh, who cares what other people think. Some people want to have a legal marriage, other people don't. It's totally up to them.

The only thing I believe is necessary for a full life is some degree of closeness with other people, whether it be through friends or through romantic relationships, however you define them (i.e. marriage, LTRs, whatever). Humans generally do not to well as solitary beings.

Reactions: 2 users

Actually think it the other way around, can people who are married ever be happy? Think about people who are married, who are around each other 24-7, who get to see the not so savory sides of each others personalities, characters, and ahem, bodily functions.

The divorce rate in the US has hovered around 50 percent in the US but has taken a dip, mostly because of fewer people getting married and people from more traditional backgrounds marrying. That being said you wonder if these people are actually happy because people from traditional backgrounds tend to be more wary of splitting up because there is a greater social stigma for them if marriage does fail.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'll ever marry again. It's not that I don't love my girlfriend, I just think marriage is putting a forever promise on something that often fades with time. I hope my relationship lasts, but whether it will- who knows. Without children in the cards, I really just don't know if marriage is practical. Idgaf what other people think, nor do I have any cultural expectations, so I don't know how much help I can be to you, however.

Actually think it the other way around, can people who are married ever be happy? Think about people who are married, who are around each other 24-7, who get to see the not so savory sides of each others personalities, characters, and ahem, bodily functions.

The divorce rate in the US has hovered around 50 percent in the US but has taken a dip, mostly because of fewer people getting married and people from more traditional backgrounds marrying. That being said you wonder if these people are actually happy because people from traditional backgrounds tend to be more wary of splitting up because there is a greater social stigma for them if marriage does fail.
You can have a happy marriage if you're comfortable with compromise and you know the score in regard to working together and life not being cupcakes and rainbows all the time. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Reactions: 1 users
You can have a happy marriage if you're comfortable with compromise and you know the score in regard to working together and life not being cupcakes and rainbows all the time. Not everyone is cut out for it.

That is the key word, compromise, and in modern society, things are not good for males in a relationship, modern women are a very fickle bunch, they come to you when they need you, and once their needs are met you are forgotten and then they when you are needed again you get a call or a text from them. I have a girlfriend right now who I have a happy relationship but I am not going to take it to higher level and get married, I was married before and not wanting to go down that road again.

That is the key word, compromise, and in modern society, things are not good for males in a relationship, modern women are a very fickle bunch, they come to you when they need you, and once their needs are met you are forgotten and then they when you are needed again you get a call or a text from them. I have a girlfriend right now who I have a happy relationship but I am not going to take it to higher level and get married, I was married before and not wanting to go down that road again.
Sounds like you've been dating the wrong women lol. I've never had such problems.

Sounds like you've been dating the wrong women lol. I've never had such problems.

I like my girlfriend, I just do not feel I want to be legally bound to her in marriage. My last one was definitely the wrong one.

Our culture is sort of aggravating when it comes to this stuff. I have my fair share of acquaintances that have gone back to the homeland to be married off, some are quite happy, others not so much.

Marriage isnt necessary for a full life, but I think many people dont feel fulfilled unless theyre legally bound to someone else. After all, thats what our society tells us we need to do, right?

I do not think it is necessary and do not intend to get married unless I am convinced it is superior to getting to do whatever the **** I want whenever I want.

For me, the thought of not finding a great partner to raise a family and go through life with seems sad. I may just be young and naive but I don't see myself really being fulfilled without something like that.

For me, the thought of not finding a great partner to raise a family and go through life with seems sad. I may just be young and naive but I don't see myself really being fulfilled without something like that.
You're not naive, you just have different priorities than some people. They aren't right or wrong, they're just what you prefer.

The inherent answer is it depends. I see it more as a love/business arrangement.

The keys are communication, trust/honesty, and compromise to make it last.

Looks fade but you also kinda need to be attracted to the person.

Depending on the kind of person you are. Marriage may or may not be a good thing.