Can people with low stats really succeed in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trojanation

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who got into med school with pretty low stats and he's struggling big time now, almost failing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your definition of "succeeding." If you mean simply passing, then yea probably. Anyone with over a 3.4 and a 27 can probably pass med school. If you mean attaining AOA or rocking the USMLE, then I'd like to see some data comparing the low-stat admits with the high-stat admits.

It depends on your definition of "succeeding." If you mean simply passing, then yea probably. Anyone with over a 3.4 and a 27 can probably pass med school. If you mean attaining AOA or rocking the USMLE, then I'd like to see some data comparing the low-stat admits with the high-stat admits.
There is sort of...AAMC

Obviously low stat people are going to struggle in med school. If they couldn't hack college or the MCAT, do you really expect them to do well in med school?

depends on what you mean by "succeed."

generally, everyone at least passes and graduates (looking at the 98%+ graduation rates of most schools).

no matter what your pre-matriculation qualifications were, C=MD almost always applies.

Med schools seem to know what they are doing in admissions. Very few people fail.

I have a friend who got into med school with pretty low stats and he's struggling big time now, almost failing.

Depends on what you mean by low stats... Low GPA could just mean a smart person who was a slacker for a while in undergrad (see exhibit: wchanc), but they may still do well in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about your friend.

I think you're making a big generalization though. In so far as low stats represent low ability and/or motivation, then you're right. People with low stats have on average a harder time. But there are a lot of reasons to have low stats.

a) struggling in school and not up to par intellectually
b) so bored with the curriculum you don't bother
c) double majoring in weedout classes at a school that doesn't inflate grades
d) major crisis (death in the family, having a child and taking time off, etc)
e) illness (mono, car crash, migraines...)

I'd say only (a) will have any impact on your med school abilities, (b) will probably do _better_ in a harder program since they'll be more engaged, (c)'s already prepared to work hard, and (d) and (e) will have better time management skills.

low MCAT... probably means nothing. It's a bogus test anways.

Low GPA (depending on the circumastances).. maybe he tried very hard in undergrad and still got a low GPA --> might not be a good thing

Sorry about your friend.

I think you're making a big generalization though. In so far as low stats represent low ability and/or motivation, then you're right. People with low stats have on average a harder time. But there are a lot of reasons to have low stats.

a) struggling in school and not up to par intellectually
b) so bored with the curriculum you don't bother
c) double majoring in weedout classes at a school that doesn't inflate grades
d) major crisis (death in the family, having a child and taking time off, etc)
e) illness (mono, car crash, migraines...)

I'd say only (a) will have any impact on your med school abilities, (b) will probably do _better_ in a harder program since they'll be more engaged, (c)'s already prepared to work hard, and (d) and (e) will have better time management skills.
Word to all of this.

It kinda is...

yeah, i mean, god forbid that there be a test of, you know, the ability to critically analyze information. not like a physician has to do much of that.

It kinda is...
How is it? Compared to every other test you've taken in college. Because this is pretty much a college final.

And low stats don't coincide with low success rate in medical school. As has been stated, the drop out/failure rate at medical schools is almost non-existent. But who am I to say? Status: Pre-Medical as well. I just figure that the numbers don't lie in this case.

The problem is that people are making assumptions that a 3.6 here is the same as a 3.6 there all across different classes, states, and universities, and that's just not true. And for some people, they really were an idiot during their freshman year (who isn't?), and it takes a while for them to see the light (the real point of college anyway). So while those 2 Ds from freshman year will stick with them forever, the 2 years of a 3.8 post-bac is still a better barometer of what a student can do NOW rather than their past self.

If a student was accepted, they can do the work. Don't think any less of them. It just sets yourself up for trouble.

Perhaps, but you would have to know why a person had low stats to begin with. My uGPA is abysmally low because I slacked off (spent more time riding my horse and working than studying). If I had absolutely busted my a$$, sought tutoring help, studied as much as other pre-med types and could only get a 3.1 gpa, then I would be a very sad camper. However, my 13 on the Bio MCAT means that I learned a thing or two about science since graduating back in 2000. So, unless there was a way to standardize everyone's undergrad school difficulty, individual class difficulty, motivation, life experiences... there is no way to use one number as a perfect predictor of success in medical school. ADCOMMs realize this and that is why gpa, mcat, life experience, work, interview, personal statement all figure in to admissions.

:thumbup:
The problem is that people are making assumptions that a 3.6 here is the same as a 3.6 there all across different classes, states, and universities, and that's just not true. And for some people, they really were an idiot during their freshman year (who isn't?), and it takes a while for them to see the light (the real point of college anyway). So while those 2 Ds from freshman year will stick with them forever, the 2 years of a 3.8 post-bac is still a better barometer of what a student can do NOW rather than their past self.

If a student was accepted, they can do the work. Don't think any less of them. It just sets yourself up for trouble.

No surprise there.

Med student, surprised...Hate to burst your bubble, but I've been accepted to med school for the fall.

Med student, surprised...Hate to burst your bubble, but I've been accepted to med school for the fall.

You are not a med student until you've actually started medical school. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think Prowler was laughing at the fact that someone who hasn't even taken a medical school class has the nerve to act like they know what it takes to succeed in medical school.

Oh and I consider myself a low stat person (28 on the MCAT) and I'm graduating in the top quarter of my class and kicked butt on the boards.

Still, until you switch to a med student label, his point still stands.

Oh and I consider myself a low stat person (28 on the MCAT) and I'm graduating in the top quarter of my class and kicked butt on the boards.

Well, yay for you!

Perhaps, but you would have to know why a person had low stats to begin with. My uGPA is abysmally low because I slacked off (spent more time riding my horse and working than studying). If I had absolutely busted my a$$, sought tutoring help, studied as much as other pre-med types and could only get a 3.1 gpa, then I would be a very sad camper. However, my 13 on the Bio MCAT means that I learned a thing or two about science since graduating back in 2000. So, unless there was a way to standardize everyone's undergrad school difficulty, individual class difficulty, motivation, life experiences... there is no way to use one number as a perfect predictor of success in medical school. ADCOMMs realize this and that is why gpa, mcat, life experience, work, interview, personal statement all figure in to admissions.

It doesn't matter why your GPA was low. Why would they think that you are suddenly going to bust your @ss in medical school, when you were lazy in college? Whether you got bad grades due to other commitments, laziness, or lower intellect, it still shows the adcom that you may not be ready for a med school curriculum.

Then what did you find so funny about what I wrote?

The thread is about low stat people who get into med school and the correlation with them not doing well, or failing.

I pointed out that med schools seem to know exactly what they are doing when they admit people, because it is pretty damn rare for anyone to flunk out of med school.

There is far more to admissions and success than stats, little one.

ha ha ha...

so you are tall and beat up some poor guy trying to give a lecture?

no but kudos

so you are tall and beat up some poor guy trying to give a lecture?

no but kudos

Nah, I'm a short lil polish girl who likes to beat up obnoxious pre-meds. :smuggrin:

as always, everyone's case is unique. Some people might have had a tough time getting into med school due to their subpar GPA and carry a little bit of a chip on their shoulder (me). For others, having stellar stats and getting into their top choice could make them think things will always come easily and could stumble a little when the workload hits them. For 150 students you'll have 150 scenarios. What's important, at least for years 1 and 2, is to manage your time and don't fall behind. If you had low stats and do that, you'll be ok. If you had high stats and do that, you'll be ok.

Nah, I'm a short lil polish girl who likes to beat up obnoxious pre-meds. :smuggrin:

that's hawt :)

You need to go on tour and visit every campus in America

Then what did you find so funny about what I wrote?

The thread is about low stat people who get into med school and the correlation with them not doing well, or failing.

I pointed out that med schools seem to know exactly what they are doing when they admit people, because it is pretty damn rare for anyone to flunk out of med school.

There is far more to admissions and success than stats, little one.

ha ha ha...

Dude, if you really don't know what's funny about what you wrote, then you're incredibly naive.

as always, everyone's case is unique. Some people might have had a tough time getting into med school due to their subpar GPA and carry a little bit of a chip on their shoulder (me). For others, having stellar stats and getting into their top choice could make them think things will always come easily and could stumble a little when the workload hits them. For 150 students you'll have 150 scenarios. What's important, at least for years 1 and 2, is to manage your time and don't fall behind. If you had low stats and do that, you'll be ok. If you had high stats and do that, you'll be ok.
Co-sign :thumbup:

It doesn't matter why your GPA was low. Why would they think that you are suddenly going to bust your @ss in medical school, when you were lazy in college? Whether you got bad grades due to other commitments, laziness, or lower intellect, it still shows the adcom that you may not be ready for a med school curriculum.

Sure, maybe if one was to go straight from undergrad to med school - I agree on that point.

But there are lots of exceptions. For example: my ugpa is from a decade ago. Alot has changed. Also have a 3.87 from grad school - but that isn't considered into my GPA, so the 3.1 stands as my "stats". Just like with many other individuals who have gone through many things since their uGPA's were chiseled in stone. Like I said, if we were all clones with the same experiences, maturity, class difficulty, life experiences since obtaining the uGPA, then it would be an indicator - but we are not, so it is not (always).

Dude, if you really don't know what's funny about what you wrote, then you're incredibly naive.

Dude, the only thing funny on this thread is you.

Clearly you laughed because knowing that you got in, the med schools could not possibly know what they are doing...:laugh:

ha ha ha, lol, hardy har har

:laugh: tee hee

Dude, the only thing funny on this thread is you.

Clearly you laughed because knowing that you got in, the med schools could not possibly know what they are doing...:laugh:

ha ha ha, lol, hardy har har

:laugh: tee hee

You just don't get it. That's ok, you'll find out soon enough. Good luck applying, judging by your comments, you'll need it.

:laugh: Don't even start with me. You take the cake in that area.
Haha dude I hope we meet in residency so I can eat your *** up. Good luck at whatever school decided to let you in.

By succeed I mean actually do reasonably well in med school, not just barely pass. My friend had a 3.1 ugpa and an even lower science gpa.

Haha dude I hope we meet in residency so I can eat your *** up. Good luck at whatever school decided to let you in.

I'll be there, will you? :D UCLA decided to let me in.