Can post-bacc performance mitigate the influence of the worst of undergrad GPA trends?

Kahalaopuna

2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
While I am able to find plenty of threads that touch on the significance of common poor gpa trends (i.e. steady downward trend, v-shaped trend, and bell shaped trend) in light of post-bacc performance, I have been unable to locate a thread that specifically highlights the trends I have. I've read that poor undergraduate GPA is a primary source of doubt of an applicant's abilities for adcoms and would like to know where I stand.

At this point, I believe I've done as much "repair" as possible as I am now experiencing a <0.01 cumulative GPA increase per 3 credits at a 4.0. My undergraduate GPA declined from a 3.6 to a 3.2 over the first three years then plummeted to an abysmal sub-3.0 during my last undergraduate year, leaving me with a 3.2cgpa/3.2sgpa. My post-bacc GPA is a 3.8 over 96 additional credits bringing me to an overall of 3.47cgpa/3.60sgpa.

It should also be noted that I experienced multiple extenuating circumstances over the course of years 2 through 4. I have four distinct events (some of which overlap) that affected my performance. I have encountered threads where each of these events alone were deemed extenuating circumstances and at least somewhat forgivable (they do not include any legal nor mental health issues... I am not comfortable revealing any additional details in an effort to preserve anonymity). I would really appreciate hearing if any of you have experiences with a similar trend.

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
There are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. So yes, with a good MCAT score (513+ for MD; 510+ for your state MD or DO), you should be fine.

It's not about the cGPA anymore, but about the last 1-2 years, and you proving that the you of then is not the you of now.

Bru

7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a similar trend but honestly it was over 8+ years prior so the trend didn't really matter as compared to my recent coursework. If it was a long time ago, I honestly won't sweat it. On top of that, there is nothing to do about it except what you have done. I probably won't even dwell on in in my application (but that's my opinion). Just focus on the "now you" who did extremely well in your post-bacc.

I had very similar stats. Ended up with a very good MCAT score and attended my state MD school.

About the Ads
Jul 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
There are a number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention. So yes, with a good MCAT score (513+ for MD; 510+ for your state MD or DO), you should be fine.

It's not about the cGPA anymore, but about the last 1-2 years, and you proving that the you of then is not the you of now.
how many credit hours should we maintain for those 1-2 years? For example, should we aim for having 30+ credit hours or 40+ credit hours of straight A's?

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
how many credit hours should we maintain for those 1-2 years? For example, should we aim for having 30+ credit hours or 40+ credit hours of straight A's?
30-40 hrs sounds about right.

Reactions: tarheel101
OP
Kahalaopuna

Kahalaopuna

2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm relieved to hear that I still have a shot at MD schools pending a good MCAT score. I have recently started studying for the MCAT and every bit of motivation helps!

Reactions: Goro
OP
Kahalaopuna

Kahalaopuna

2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I had a similar trend but honestly it was over 8+ years prior so the trend didn't really matter as compared to my recent coursework. If it was a long time ago, I honestly won't sweat it. On top of that, there is nothing to do about it except what you have done. I probably won't even dwell on in in my application (but that's my opinion). Just focus on the "now you" who did extremely well in your post-bacc.
Thank you for sharing your story. My undergrad trend will be 7+ years in the past when I apply next year. I'm relieved to hear that I don't have to dedicate too much of my application space to my undergrad trend... I have much more interesting experiences I would rather highlight.

About the Ads