Can previous residency in acgme certified institution increase chances of matching?

Jul 6, 2015
My country has a few ACGME international-certified residencies.
If I complete, say one year of residency here, then apply for the match in the US, would program directors see that as an asset? (assuming I'm also applying in the same specialty)
I know I'll have to start the first year again, so I'm not even gonna ask if I can skip to 2nd yr.
I'm just guessing that since I had experience in a similar setting, they would see that one year as a good thing.
Anyone have any idea about this?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Not really. It won't be seen as a negative but it won't really boost your app in any appreciable sort of way.

Reactions: Dr. Flouncy Meow
Jul 6, 2015
So it will be counted as work experience, I guess?
While on that topic, what would PDs think of a clinical junior lecturer job?

About the Ads

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Where the grass is always greener
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What is a clinical junior lecture job? A glorified TA?

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Where the grass is always greener
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes. I accompany students during rounds and teach them when the attendings get sick and tired of them. And I do all the donkey work that comes along with being in a teaching department.
That sucks

Reactions: Millineutron

VeitVat

5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2014
LOL. ACGME "international" is meaningless. It's an expansion plan from an agency that hit the cap of what it can control in the USA and decided to expand across the globe to increase its earning potential and control.

Think about it. If you get to train in an "ACGME international" accredited institution, why seek to train in the U.S.?

Unless, of course, you are taking the expensive education subsidized by the people of your country only as an opportunity to emigrate out for financial reasons and have no interest in serving the healthcare needs of your homeland... that's impossible, of course!

Jul 6, 2015
Unless, of course, you are taking the expensive education subsidized by the people of your country only as an opportunity to emigrate out for financial reasons and have no interest in serving the healthcare needs of your homeland... that's impossible, of course!
Oh yes, I am doing that, actually, because it isn't my homeland. And I'm definitely doing it for financial reasons - people have to live. And I know the copy isn't the SAME as the real thing (why else would I prep for the US) but I just wanted to know if it had any value after all, if just not on paper.

I mean, would saying that I was worked in a 'AGCME certified residency' instead of 'a residency' at least make them go, "Hmm, so you know something about how it goes here after all," or would they be like "Meh, whatever, you lost a year."

With the replies I'm getting, I guess it's the latter.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Oh yes, I am doing that, actually, because it isn't my homeland. And I'm definitely doing it for financial reasons - people have to live. And I know the copy isn't the SAME as the real thing (why else would I prep for the US) but I just wanted to know if it had any value after all, if just not on paper.

I mean, would saying that I was worked in a 'AGCME certified residency' instead of 'a residency' at least make them go, "Hmm, so you know something about how it goes here after all," or would they be like "Meh, whatever, you lost a year."

With the replies I'm getting, I guess it's the latter.
Yeah I'm not convinced that "ACGME certified residency" in a foreign country teaches you about how US residency and hospitals run: the hours are different, the drug names different, the structure of training likely different etc.

VeitVat

5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2014
"My country..."

The first two words in your OP. So I'm curious how your country is not your homeland.

I am saddened by the loss of their best and brightest many other countries around the world suffer from, everyone who can leaving for the USA - specially after subsidizing the training of their professionals out of their often mishandled taxes.

Jul 6, 2015
"My country..."

The first two words in your OP. So I'm curious how your country is not your homeland.

I am saddened by the loss of their best and brightest many other countries around the world suffer from, everyone who can leaving for the USA - specially after subsidizing the training of their professionals out of their often mishandled taxes.
Oh god you are so nit-picky - and I'm honored that you took so much time to meticulously look over my posts - I'm living as an expatriate. Means although I have spent my entire life here, I don't have its passport (nor its rights). I said 'my country', to refer to that I'm living in it right now, and differentiate it from the second country, the US.
Initially I didn't want to spell all this out, but good lord your posts are so ultracrepidarian, it's just begging for a reply. And yes, I had to google for that word. Not everyone is as high and mighty as you are, (un)fortunately.
Can you help instead of sneering? Please?

Reactions: Crayola227
Jul 6, 2015
Not really. It won't be seen as a negative but it won't really boost your app in any appreciable sort of way.
Dubious metric, as you've described a healthy chunk of the college educated workforce. But yeah, I'd say this is much better than a gap on your CV while you take your tests.
Yeah I'm not convinced that "ACGME certified residency" in a foreign country teaches you about how US residency and hospitals run: the hours are different, the drug names different, the structure of training likely different etc.
Thank you guys, that's all I wanted to know.

About the Ads