Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Can previous residency in acgme certified institution increase chances of matching?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by Dr. Flouncy Meow, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

My country has a few ACGME international-certified residencies.
    If I complete, say one year of residency here, then apply for the match in the US, would program directors see that as an asset? (assuming I'm also applying in the same specialty)
    I know I'll have to start the first year again, so I'm not even gonna ask if I can skip to 2nd yr.
    I'm just guessing that since I had experience in a similar setting, they would see that one year as a good thing.
    Anyone have any idea about this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not really. It won't be seen as a negative but it won't really boost your app in any appreciable sort of way.

Dr. Flouncy Meow likes this.
  4. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

So it will be counted as work experience, I guess?
    While on that topic, what would PDs think of a clinical junior lecturer job?

5. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What is a clinical junior lecture job? A glorified TA?

6. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

Yes. I accompany students during rounds and teach them when the attendings get sick and tired of them. And I do all the donkey work that comes along with being in a teaching department.

7. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That sucks

Millineutron likes this.
  8. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

I also get paid more than a 1st year resident, get weekends free, get to carry out researches and I can work on giving my steps. So there won't be a blank space in my CV.

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dubious metric, as you've described a healthy chunk of the college educated workforce. But yeah, I'd say this is much better than a gap on your CV while you take your tests.

Dr. Flouncy Meow likes this.
  10. VeitVat

2+ Year Member

LOL. ACGME "international" is meaningless. It's an expansion plan from an agency that hit the cap of what it can control in the USA and decided to expand across the globe to increase its earning potential and control.

Think about it. If you get to train in an "ACGME international" accredited institution, why seek to train in the U.S.?

Unless, of course, you are taking the expensive education subsidized by the people of your country only as an opportunity to emigrate out for financial reasons and have no interest in serving the healthcare needs of your homeland... that's impossible, of course!

11. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

Oh yes, I am doing that, actually, because it isn't my homeland. And I'm definitely doing it for financial reasons - people have to live. And I know the copy isn't the SAME as the real thing (why else would I prep for the US) but I just wanted to know if it had any value after all, if just not on paper.

I mean, would saying that I was worked in a 'AGCME certified residency' instead of 'a residency' at least make them go, "Hmm, so you know something about how it goes here after all," or would they be like "Meh, whatever, you lost a year."

With the replies I'm getting, I guess it's the latter.

12. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah I'm not convinced that "ACGME certified residency" in a foreign country teaches you about how US residency and hospitals run: the hours are different, the drug names different, the structure of training likely different etc.

Dr. Flouncy Meow and ThoracicGuy like this.
  13. VeitVat

2+ Year Member

"My country..."

The first two words in your OP. So I'm curious how your country is not your homeland.

I am saddened by the loss of their best and brightest many other countries around the world suffer from, everyone who can leaving for the USA - specially after subsidizing the training of their professionals out of their often mishandled taxes.

14. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

Oh god you are so nit-picky - and I'm honored that you took so much time to meticulously look over my posts - I'm living as an expatriate. Means although I have spent my entire life here, I don't have its passport (nor its rights). I said 'my country', to refer to that I'm living in it right now, and differentiate it from the second country, the US.
    Initially I didn't want to spell all this out, but good lord your posts are so ultracrepidarian, it's just begging for a reply. And yes, I had to google for that word. Not everyone is as high and mighty as you are, (un)fortunately.
    Can you help instead of sneering? Please?

Crayola227 likes this.
  15. Dr. Flouncy Meow

2+ Year Member

Thank you guys, that's all I wanted to know.

galactus and Winged Scapula like this.