Can PT schools see to which other PT schools you apply to? If so, is it bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julezgirl1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I know there are some similar forums in pre-vet and pre-pharm...but I wanted to know from a PT perspective...does it make you look bad/indecisive if you apply to many schools rather than a few?...I was told by a psych columbia professor to narrow it down to as little schools as possible because other schools see it and it makes me look desperate...I could see his point, but I don't know how true that is. Please help if you know and espp if you have already gotten in somewhere! Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they can only see where else you applied after the cycle is closed. Maybe someone else has some facts for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
They only see it after the cycle and they also see what schools accepted you. But they do not see it during the application process. Check PTCAS frequent questions area

PTCAS
"Q: Does one program know whether I applied to other programs in PTCAS?

A: During the admissions cycle, one PT program will not know whether you applied to other PT programs. After the completion of the admissions cycle, programs will be able to view the other programs designated by their applicants and the final admission decision reported by each competing institution in PTCAS."

Thanks guys! Just to clarify...is getting accepted part of an admissions cycle? If yes, I don't see why these colleges would even care where you applied or what other schools accepted/rejected you after they've sent you their acceptance letter.

So on the interviews that I have been on (in Texas), the faculty tell us to apply to as many schools as possible. They know how competitive the process is and the more schools you apply to, the better chances you have of getting in! I made the mistake of only applying to one school my first year because I was so sure I would get in and I didn't! I don't think it makes you look desperate if you are applying to a lot of schools, I think it makes you look like you really want to be a PT! :0)

Thanks guys! Just to clarify...is getting accepted part of an admissions cycle? If yes, I don't see why these colleges would even care where you applied or what other schools accepted/rejected you after they've sent you their acceptance letter.

I think colleges use this information after the admissions cycle just for statistical purposes. It has no bearing on their admission decisions. However, they might ask at your interviews which other schools you have applied to.

I think colleges use this information after the admissions cycle just for statistical purposes. It has no bearing on their admission decisions. However, they might ask at your interviews which other schools you have applied to.

They really shouldn't be asking what other schools you've applied to. It is for statistics. The last cycle 2011-12 stats should be out as of Oct 18th through APTA web site.

edit: don't see it there yet but here is the link for 2010-11 info http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/APTAorg/Educators/Curriculum_Resources/APTA/PTCAS/2010_11_PTCAS_ApplicantDataRpt.pdf#search=%222011-12 applicant data report%22

also found this http://www.capteonline.org/uploaded...ateProgramData_PTPrograms.pdf#search="2011-12 applicant report%22

Last edited:
I would not recommend doing this, but I told the school I was interviewing at that I had applied to the other schools in that state (I actually mentioned each school by name). Somewhat risky, but it paid off in the end. I wanted to let them know that I was interviewing them, as well as them interviewing me.

I honestly don't see why any of them would care if you're applying to other schools.

I also can't see them going through and looking at what other schools you applied to when the cycle closes. No school is going to pay someone to go through and make note of how many different schools each applicant applied when they have an application pool of several hundred people.

They really have no business asking what other schools you apply at. Unless they're guaranteeing you a spot at the interview, they shouldn't be surprised that you're applying to others. I'm would no limit my options just so whoever is interviewing me can get their rocks off about how "enthusiastic" I am about their school.

My reply to anyone asking that would simply be "I am applying at a few other select schools that I believe will also offer me the best possible education" and I would leave it at that.

In my experience, the school's don't care. They care more so about the individual and if that person can fit in and succeed in their program.

Personally, I believe the more you apply to, the better (as long as you can afford it). I'm currently in PT school now and I applied to 11 or 12 schools total.

Like litlwarrior said, they shouldn't be asking what other schools you've applied to. If you have the audacity, ask them why they're asking that question. They should understand that the process is highly competitive, and to apply to one or two schools severely limits your chances. Since the advent of PTCAS, it's possible to apply to a dozen schools, and not just three or four. Most applicants are applying to more than five schools.

Apply to as many schools as you want and don't worry that they can see where else you're applying. Your competition is probably applying to those schools as well. If they ask during the interview, tell them you're applying to other schools because you're maximizing your chances of being accepted. Don't fidget and squirm in your seat. Just be honest and don't believe that your answer will affect your chances. They just want to make sure that you're qualified for their program.

Kevin

I don't think it matters even if they can see it. One of my supplemental essay questions was "if you were accepted into more than one program, what would help you make the decision on which school to attend?"

So, they are fully aware that you're going to be applying elsewhere. It's a rare occasion when a student puts all their eggs in one basket.

I don't think it matters even if they can see it. One of my supplemental essay questions was "if you were accepted into more than one program, what would help you make the decision on which school to attend?"

So, they are fully aware that you're going to be applying elsewhere. It's a rare occasion when a student puts all their eggs in one basket.

:laugh: sneaky way to ask why you choose their school.

Definitely just be honest. I replied in that essay that distance from home would be one of the primary factors on choosing what school to choose and I explained why it was important to me. Also Drexel asked, what schools i applied to and I told them that I applied to the schools in area of Philly and named three off. Its nothing to be ashamed of and I feel they respect you more knowing that you aren't hiding it and telling them they are the only program you really wanted to get into.