Can Research Hurt You During Time Off??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWhiteMamba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will have two years off after I graduate this year (I will be applying summer 2010). I have been working in a neuroscience lab for the past year. I will be published this summer as a second author and research is going well. I have been debating what to do with my time off and one of my options is to take a job in my lab.

Here is the problem. I think my research is interesting, but I know I dont want to pursue a research career as a future physician. Given this, some have said doing research could come off as contradictory or inconsistent with my goals of pure clinical medicine? Also, my top choice school is my state school which puts a heavy emphasis on primary care medicine. Will a research-heavy background hurt me even more for a school like this?

Members don't see this ad.

No, it won't hurt you. Many residency positions now require/strongly suggest research experience either during or prior to medical school. Also, most medical schools get the largest portion of their federal money based on research performance. Every interviewer I met, both at schools focused on primary care and at larger research schools, commented that the background in research was a big positive.

Hi All,

I will have two years off after I graduate this year (I will be applying summer 2010). I have been working in a neuroscience lab for the past year. I will be published this summer as a second author and research is going well. I have been debating what to do with my time off and one of my options is to take a job in my lab.

Here is the problem. I think my research is interesting, but I know I dont want to pursue a research career as a future physician. Given this, some have said doing research could come off as contradictory or inconsistent with my goals of pure clinical medicine? Also, my top choice school is my state school which puts a heavy emphasis on primary care medicine. Will a research-heavy background hurt me even more for a school like this?

Research is always regarded as a positive, even for most of the primary care fields. The only issue with doing more research would be if it means you don't have time to do clinical stuff as well. It's not an either or thing, you basically need both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with L2D. The research won't hurt you, and can only help you, but continue with some clinical volunteerism for 3-4 hours per week at the same time. Adcomms also want to see consistency and dedication to testing a medical vocation and doing community service. If you're applying in a year, I hope you've already got this started.

I've done two years worth of research year round, practically as a part time job. I have no desire to continue as a practicing physician, but I would love to continue during med school at the least. Like VZD said, research brings money to the school. If you can offer up a vast amount of experience, that's definitely a plus.