can residency eligibility change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soopasteve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been wondering this due to tuition costs of out of state schools. Im currently a Florida resident but most of the schools I would like to go to are out of my state. If I get accepted to an out of state school will I pay out-of-state tuition for the full 4 years or just for the first? I ask this because I noticed that residency is usually established as residing in that state for the past 12 months. So does that make me a resident after my first year and then I transition to in-state tuition? or do they only decide residency at initial application time?

sorry for the rediculous question.

Members don't see this ad.

This depends on the specific school/state. Places like Buffalo, UNLV, UCSF let you become a resident after one year but these institutions are few and far between. Most schools, ie Michigan, do not let you change your residency status and you are required to pay out of state tuition for all 4 years.

These residency questions get asked quite often (more so on the pre-dental board). Do a little search and you will find a plethora of threads outlining the specifics for individual schools.