Medical Can residency PDs see if I went to counseling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not in crisis. I'm not a danger to myself or others. I'm considering going just because I want someone to talk to.

US MD MS-1 here and just started the semester a month ago. I learned this afternoon that I have lost my mother and, frankly, I'm an emotional wreck. I want to see a counselor, but I'm worried about PDs being able to see that I saw a counselor. Our counselling program is offered by/connected directly to our school (and hospital. Our residents and house staff go to the same center, but use different counselors).

The confidentially statement is this: "counselors strive to uphold strict confidentiality and hold themselves to the highest level of clinical and ethical standards. As such, all information shared during counseling is confidential. No one outside the SCC may have access to the specifics of counseling sessions without the prior written permission of the student, except in situations where there is a threat or danger to life."

What gets me is the "written permission" part.

Is there anywhere in ERAS or background checks where this might come up, where I'm technically giving my "written permission"?

Thanks.
Get counseling. No, we cannot see anything like this. And honestly there's nothing "bad" about getting counseling. Do not worry about this.

The bigger issue is whether you can handle the start of medical school and this huge loss at the same time. The material comes at a fast clip and everything builds on everything else. I would suggest that you involve one of your student deans also -- let them know what's going on. Their job is to help you. If you're stuggling, you are much better off taking an LOA rather than starting to fail classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.

Taking an LOA has crossed my mind a few times since yesterday, but I think I'm going to risk staying in school. I managed to stay successful in undergrad senior year after the devastating death of my grandfather and this isn't the first time I've "lost" my mother.

Opioid addiction is a cruel bitch, if you catch my drift.
Good luck and remember to take care of yourself. You can't take care of others unless you are taken care of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.

Taking an LOA has crossed my mind a few times since yesterday, but I think I'm going to risk staying in school. I managed to stay successful in undergrad senior year after the devastating death of my grandfather and this isn't the first time I've "lost" my mother.

Opioid addiction is a cruel bitch, if you catch my drift.
Very sorry to hear of these sad troubles you're going through. Strongly consider the LOA, as you do need time to grieve and heal. Staying busy (as in the med school part) comes after the crying yourself out but are still sad part.

I lost my mom while I was in grad school, so I don't merely sympathize, I empathize. But definitely seek out counseling.

Thank you for the kind words. Tbh, I don't even know what I'd do for a full year of absence. The federal loans are already taken out, she's across the country and prisons aren't allowing visitors anyway, and there's nothing else for me at home or in my new city.

I cried just a bit during my quiz today and still managed to pass, but I think I'm about 90% cried out at this point.

I did just make an appointment for after my block exam in two weeks. Just gotta hang in until exam is over, I guess.
Stay busy!
Write a letter to your mom every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.