1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can retaking the PCAT hurt my application?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by penguins429, Aug 13, 2006.

1. penguins429

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey! I took the PCAT last October, and did alright (95 composite, 95 verbal, 98 quant, 96 chem, 77 biology, 58 reading, and a 4 on the writing ) ... so, I talked to a couple of the schools I'm applying to and they said that although overall I did alright, they strongly prefer applicants with above an 80 percent in each section. If I do retake the PCAT, and happened to do worse on the chem/quant/verbal/composite, but better on the bio and reading, will they just look at all the best scores for each section, or might they actually look at how I did worse in some sections and count that against me? ...
    since my gpa isnt stellar, its important that my PCAT is as good as possible .... so i need to consider the options ...

2. penguins429

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
  3. dabumba

dabumba Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Your composite is definitely fine.

APPLY EARLY.

If you retake PCAT, I don't think it will hurt you. However, if your 90s drop to 60s, you will need a damage control management then.

If I were you, I apply early!

Good luck.

4. acetyl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No, retaking the PCAT would not hurt your application one bit. I think, however, that you really do not need to take the exam again but do what you feel is necessary. I'm sort of in the same boat as you, except I didn't score quite as high. I was 87 composite with (37 reading and 55 verbal :eek: ) I'm going to retake the exam in October because some of the schools I'm applying to want higher than 70% in each section. I think it's kind of silly, but whatever, I suppose I won't get accepted to their school if I don't do well enough. On the flip side, if I was a pharmacy school administrator and had one of the top programs in the country I would also implement some type of minimum subsection standard, but still admit great applicants who don't do well in certain standardize test sections!