Can schools find out if you applied to MD schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.R.HiFlo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an upcoming interview at LECOM. I would like to know if the interviewers know whether I have applied to MD schools. On my ACOMAS I stated that I did NOT apply to any MD schools. I bet I'll be asked the question about whether I did! I'm wondering if DO schools check with AMCAS.

Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck with your interview at LECOM. I was in a similar situation, they did question whether or not you applied to both MD and DO. When questioned, if you answer that you did apply to MD schools, they may ask you why both and on top of that what the outcome has been so far. I would advise telling the truth, since I am sure they can check if they chose to do so. Good Luck

When interviewing at schools last year I was asked that very question and I think my response really helped me. I told the interviewers that yes, I applied to both MD and Do schools because my main goal was to become a doctor and I would do everything in my power to get there. I think they appreciated my honesty. Best of luck to you. I am currently at a DO school and am very happy with that decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember my LECOM interview. The guy looked at me and said: "You applied before - what happened there?"

Then they asked me if I applied to MD schools as well. I feel that they usually hear the same crap over and over, so it's slowly becoming a question that they disregard. I basically told them that I was taking a shotgun approach to medical schools, and that I didn't, under any circumstances, want to limit myself the opportunity of becoming a physician. He grunted, looked at his notepad, and asked on. Got in.

Best of luck to you (if it isn't too late). LECOM is a great school.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

There is no line of communication between the AAMC and AACOMAS. There is no "official" way for DO schools to find out if you have applied to MD schools and vice versa. There are always "unofficial" channel. However, the chances that someone would ask about you are so small that I would not even worry about it.

I don't think this question should worry you unless you lied. It is better to be honest -- many people who applied to both are able to get into DO schools just fine. The answers the people gave in these post are perfectly acceptable.

Hi All,

Good advice. It goes without saying that honesty is the best policy. Kudos to Ana for the answer I was looking for.
smile.gif

Important FYI!!!

Some of you may already know the story of my MCAT (and I'll spare you from a repeat telling) but in the process of getting everything straightened out I received a "school" copy of my MCAT scores (the version they send the school...NOT the little card they send us). The version that goes to the schools lists ALL of the schools that your scores went to (just like our copy does)....so I would advise STRONGLY on telling the truth and thinking of WHY you applied to both!!!

Hope this helps!

Karyn

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to state (on your AACOMAS app.) that you didn't apply to MD schools. Obviously you have applied to MD schools since you posed the question. Did you change your mind after AACOMAS? If so, explain it to the interviewer, assuming the topic is addressed. Whatever you do, you should tell the truth, as others have advised.