Can schools see your FAFSA school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azimuthal431

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And if so, does the ordering of schools matter? Will it impact your financial aid? I have read conflicting information on SDN and on other sites.

Members don't see this ad.

This same question was just asked a few days ago.

No, it does not matter what order you put the schools in. This is not a rank list of any kind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also like to hear more about this. It seems like it would be beneficial to list schools you haven't heard back from higher up. But then schools you're accepted to might see this as a slap in the face and affect financial aid offers? Can see the opposite happening to..?

This is the epitome of pre-med crazy. I have been to multiple financial aid presentations where financial aid officers have stated that the only person who even sees your FAFSA is someone in the financial aid office. People list schools in different orders for a wide array of reasons (many probably list them totally randomly). It wouldn't be worth the schools' time to analyze the order of schools on FAFSA.

This is the epitome of pre-med crazy. I have been to multiple financial aid presentations where financial aid officers have stated that the only person who even sees your FAFSA is someone in the financial aid office. People list schools in different orders for a wide array of reasons (many probably list them totally randomly). It wouldn't be worth the schools' time to analyze the order of schools on FAFSA.
The problem is that applicants are potentially disclosing information about what schools they are waitlisted/accepted at, and this could potentially affect admissions decisions and financial aid offers.

That's crazy. That never crossed my mind. Luckily I happened to put my first choice school on top...if it matters at all.

lol the article states that if schools believe they are your first choice, because you listed them first on FAFSA, they will less likely to offer aid.

It's probably something that very few, if any, schools do, but alphabetize if you feel paranoid.

Bump? I called FAFSA and the representative said that schools can "absolutely see that list". Doesn't this violate AAMC/AMCAS privacy clauses?

Most schools have separate admissions and financial aid offices, and I know they generally don't talk to each other.

Besides, if you're really neurotic, just put your list in alphabetical order. Anyone with half a brain will realize your list is in alphabetical order and not in preferential order.

Why not put it in order of acceptance, as if you added each school as you gained an acceptance from them?

Holy **** you guys are being neurotic.

Reactions: 1 users