dura

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Status
:oops: I am waiting to hear from Drexel and they said it would take 6 weeks for a decision. Its been 4 weeks (my friend found out in 4 weeks) should I call and see if there has been a decision or is that desperate and annoying?

HrsNJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
NJ
Status
I would say try to hold out (I know it's hard). Some schools won't even tell you over the phone. Good luck and I hope you hear SOON! :luck:

hooniedee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Nothing's going to hurt by calling. If your are really curious why not call? Even if they can't tell you if you're accepted or not over the phone they can at least tell you a decision has or has not been made.

I interviewed 1/12 and it's been about 5wks for me and still no word.

I did call a wk ago and the girl was very nice and looked up my file but she told me that my app was still in committee. My brother in-law who is an MS4 at Drexel stopped by the admin's office yesterday to inquire about my status but they still hadn't made a decision yet. They told him they are like way behind in paperwork.

Hope that helps.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
dura said:
:oops: I am waiting to hear from Drexel and they said it would take 6 weeks for a decision. Its been 4 weeks (my friend found out in 4 weeks) should I call and see if there has been a decision or is that desperate and annoying?
Just call. They are sooo sweet over the phone. And i'm sure they realize how anxious you are :)

trinitrotoluene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
I wouldn't call. Schools don't give information like that out over the phone, and you only risk their ire. Why chance it?

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
Status
I called Tulane twice before I heard from them because at the interview they claimed we would hear in 7-10 days. 14 days later, I called to ask when we would get decisions. Four weeks later, I called again. They were very nice. One week after my second call, I got my acceptance letter. For some schools, this shows interest and enthusiasm. For others, they may be annoyed, but I think it won't hurt... the people who will be annoyed are the secretaries who don't really have a say in your app anyway. Just call.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
trinitrotoluene said:
I wouldn't call. Schools don't give information like that out over the phone
Sure they do. I've called two schools, and both told me my status over the phone. And at this point, what exactly are they going to do? It's not like a secretary is going to e-mail the Admission Committee and tell them to reject you cause you called one time to find out what's up with your application :D

At any rate, I think I heard back from Drexel within 4 weeks... but as others have said, I think they are really backed up now. But it still doens't hurt to call :) And the secretary (Wanda?) was so nice during the interview, I can't imagine her being mean over the phone.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
dura said:
Call....I did this for every school, and it always worked out for the best...

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
How long should one wait to call? I realize it's different for each school, but would four weeks post-interview generally be advisable?

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Its always good to inquire about your status at a school you're very interested in going to...it does show them that you are interested, and if the secretary gets to know you by name and you have a good relationship with her, im sure it only helps you.....call to inquire, but dont bug them.....at this point in time, maybe a call every 3-4 weeks? If you're waiting by summertime, maybe a call every 2 weeks or less? Use your discretion....

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Ambs said:
How long should one wait to call? I realize it's different for each school, but would four weeks post-interview generally be advisable?
Ambs I dont think it would hurt to call 4 weeks post-interview, why not? It can only help you out

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Ambs said:
That's way too long. I called the week after I interviewed.

NCSUco04

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
NC
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Alright, I interviewed in January, and when I called last week they told me that my file was under review and that it would be before the committee either this thursday or next thursday, and the lady on the phone was very helpful. I asked her if I could call back after thursday (because I am trying to decide on whether I need to make travel plans for another interview) and she said that would be fine.

I called today and another lady told me that they made a decision yesterday, but that she couldn't tell me over the phone, and that if I didn't have a decision in the mail within 2 weeks, to call them back then. I know of other schools though (Wake for instance) that will tell you over the phone if you're waitlisted or accepted, and won't tell you if you're rejected (they'll just inform you that a decision / letter is on the way). I hope that's not how Drexel does it...

PTPoeny

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My experience is that they will tell you that a decision has been made but won't tell you the decision. I had one school that offered to e-mail me the decision when I called and they told me that, since they have your email on file with your app its more sure to reach you rather than someone calling them and pretending to be you.

futrorthodr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Status
I called Drexel today to check on the status of my application, as it has been 6 weeks post interview, and they said that a decision has been made and the letter should have gone out Monday or Tuesday. Why couldnt they just tell me, and by the inflection in her voice it didnt sound like an acceptance :scared:

kwc1979

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
futrorthodr said:
I called Drexel today to check on the status of my application, as it has been 6 weeks post interview, and they said that a decision has been made and the letter should have gone out Monday or Tuesday. Why couldnt they just tell me, and by the inflection in her voice it didnt sound like an acceptance :scared:
What day did you interview?

808premed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status
futrorthodr said:
Feb. 12th I believe
I interviewed at Drexel on Feb 9th, and called them four weeks later. The woman on the phone was really nice, but told me that a decision wasn't made yet. I figure I should hear in the next two or three weeks, as they take 6-8 weeks to make a decision. Good luck futrorthodr! :)

APTX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
What if a school specifically states in their letter to you not to contact them post-interview for your application status?

Brain

Taking over the world
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Houston
Status
MD/PhD Student
Blue Orchid said:
What if a school specifically states in their letter to you not to contact them post-interview for your application status?
Probably best to not contact them about it. You don't want them thinking you didn't read their info or can't follow directions. Maybe try indirectly asking the question like "When will a decision be made for interview date X?" without giving them your name.

finallyin

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
For those of you waiting on Drexel, I would suggest calling just to see if your file has been reviewed. If it has and a decision has been made, you won't be able to find out what the decision is, good or bad. When I called, they said a decision was in the mail and they couldn't tell me on the phone. I was happy to find an acceptance waiting for me a week later! Good luck!

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
If we're anxious, we have every right to call. We're paying them all kinds of fees to review our applications, not to mention the expenses we undertake for interviewing. I don't know about calling every third day, but I generally have waited two weeks between calls.